How Does the Openness of A Affect A∩B' in a Metric Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the statement "A\capB = \oslash Iff A\capB(closure)= empty" using A's open property. The speaker mentions that it is easy to show the right to left direction, but is having trouble using A's open property to prove the left to right direction. They suggest using a proof by contradiction and mention the importance of understanding the definitions of openness and limit points. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for help and acknowledging that they forgot to include the word "empty" in the statement.
seyma
Let (X,d) be a metric space A and B nonempty subsets of X and A is open. Show:
A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = [tex]\oslash[/tex] Iff A[tex]\cap[/tex]B(closure)= empty
Only B closure
it is easy to show rigth to left but how can i use A's open property I try to solve with contradiction s.t. there exist r>0 Br(p)[tex]\subseteq[/tex]A[tex]\cap[/tex]B(closure) but i cannot come conlusion. Can you help me please ? :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Umm... I think you're missing part of the iff statement

yeah sorry i forget to write empty

Are you able to show that A [tex] \cap[/tex] B' is empty (where B' is the set of limit points for B)? What is the definition of A being open (use the neighborhood definition)? What is the requirement that a point be an element of B' (use the deleted neighborhood definition)?

Using these definitions, you can work a proof by contradiction.

Related to How Does the Openness of A Affect A∩B' in a Metric Space?

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines the distance between two points. It consists of a set of objects and a function that measures the distance between any two objects in the set. The function must satisfy certain properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

2. What are some examples of metric spaces?

Some common examples of metric spaces include Euclidean space, which is the standard space we are familiar with in geometry, and the space of real numbers with the absolute value function as the metric. Other examples include discrete spaces, where the only possible distances are 0 and 1, and the space of continuous functions with the metric defined as the maximum distance between two functions.

3. What is a subset in a metric space?

In a metric space, a subset is a smaller set of objects that is contained within the larger set. It can also be thought of as a subset of distances, as it contains all the distances between points in the subset, but not necessarily all the distances between points in the larger set. A subset can be either open or closed, depending on whether it includes its boundary points or not.

4. How do you determine if a set is open or closed in a metric space?

A set in a metric space is considered open if it does not include its boundary points, meaning that for any point in the set, there exists a small enough distance such that all points within that distance are also in the set. A set is considered closed if it includes all its boundary points, meaning that for any sequence of points in the set that converges to a boundary point, the limit point is also in the set.

5. How are metric spaces used in real-world applications?

Metric spaces are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in measuring distances between locations in geographic data, analyzing patterns in data sets, and studying the convergence of algorithms in computer science. They are also used in physics, where the concept of distance is crucial in understanding the behavior of physical systems.