How Does the Pauli Exclusion Principle Influence Electron Pairing in Orbitals?

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pauli
In summary, electrons exist in pairs in orbitals due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle, which states that two fermions cannot be in the same individual state. This is due to the wave function of a fermionic system being antysimmetric. Additionally, the spin-statistics theorem proves that particles with an integer spin have to obey Bose-Einstein's statistic and particles with semi-integer spin have to obey Fermi-Dirac's one, leading to the existence of pairs of electrons in orbitals. Exceptions to this rule can be seen in transition and rare Earth metals, where Hund's rules are violated and the orbitals do not fill up completely.
scott_alexsk
I was wondering why electrons exsist in pairs in orbitals? Is it that since they both have opposite spins according to the Pauli Exclusion Priciple that they cancel each other out and create a more stable system?
Thanks,
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there fits more than 2 electrons on the shells beyond the K shell. It's not really about stability but just the Pauli principle and minimizing energy.

What do you mean by 'minimizing energy?'
Thanks,
-Scott

The spin-orbit interaction for example. It's energetically favourable to fill the shells as described by Hunds rules. With some notable exceptions though.

The Pauli Exclusion Principle says that two fermions can't be in the same individual state. If we only consider the external degrees of freedom (orbiting and so) then, for one level of energy you have only one state. This stands, at least, for hydrogenoid atoms.

If you consider spin degeneracy (spin degeneracy = 2s + 1, s = 1/2 so spin degeneracy = 2) then for every energy level there are two different individual states: the one which has the 3rd component of the spin "up" ([tex]\hbar/2[/tex]) and the other which its 3rd component "down" ([tex]-\hbar/2[/tex]).

So there is no violation.

That is not a question of stability. The wave function of a fermionic system has to be antysimmetric and this is the only way.

MiGUi

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Why at all do electrons exsist in pairs in orbitals. Why would a single electron just exsist by itself, always, in its own orbital? Inha would you please explain the situation of the K shell. I am not familar with it.
-scott

It can exists, but if you want to 'fill' the energy levels you need at least two.

Why fermion has anti-symmetric wave function? I've read that this is related to the matter of indistinguishability of particles, but if we can assign certain quantum numbers to an electron, we can say that they're distinguishable, can't we?
(Pardon me for jumping in the middle of this thread, but all i can say is that I'm interested in MiGUi's statement that fermion has an anti-symmetrical wave function, and i can't find out why...)

scott_alexsk said:
Maybe I should rephrase my question. Why at all do electrons exsist in pairs in orbitals.
They do not. They exist in pair only in orbitals of filled sub-shells.

Consider, for instance the electronic configuration of Mn - look at the picture here : http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Mn/econ.html

Having no unpaired electrons is the exception, not the rule. And this follows from Hund's Rules, which essentially says that (among other things) it costs less energy to fill all the orbitals with one electron each than to pair them up (at a Coulomb energy cost).

Once you've filled all orbitals within a sub-shell with one electron, and you still have electrons to spare, the cheapest option then (barring a few rare cases) is to put these electrons into the above half-filled orbitals (rather than start filling a new sub-shell). When all the orbitals are filled with 2 electrons each, you have to move on to the next sub-shell. An orbital can not hold more than 2 electrons (Pauli Exclusion).

Note : There are some cases when Hund's Rules are violated.

Yes apparently with Inha's K Shell the Pauli Exclusion Priciple is violated. Can you please describe this situation. Is it only a theoritical situation?
-scott

No the K-shell is just a name for the n=1 orbital. That one is always filled up first.

Hunds rules are violated in transition and rare Earth metals. In transition metals for example the 3d shell does not fill up completely even though there are 4s electrons present. It's not only theoretical and actually is the reason for many of the interesting properities of transition and rare Earth metals.

lueffy said:
Why fermion has anti-symmetric wave function? I've read that this is related to the matter of indistinguishability of particles, but if we can assign certain quantum numbers to an electron, we can say that they're distinguishable, can't we?
(Pardon me for jumping in the middle of this thread, but all i can say is that I'm interested in MiGUi's statement that fermion has an anti-symmetrical wave function, and i can't find out why...)

Cause fermions are 'defined' with the antisymmetry condition for its wavefunction and the bosons with the symmetric one.

After, the spin-statistics theorem proofs that particles with an integer spin have to obey Bose-Einstein's statistic and particles with semi-integer spin have to obey Fermi-Dirac's one.

A wavefunction is symmetric if changing the position of two particles, the wavefunction remains the same. And it is antisymmetric if doing that, the wavefunction is the same but with the sign changed. If you link this with the indistinguishability of particles, you have the Pauli's Exclusion Principle.

Mathematically, indistinguishability of particles means this:

[tex]\Psi(\xi_1, \ldots, \xi_i, \ldots, \xi_j, \ldots, \xi_n) = \Psi(\xi_1, \ldots, \xi_j, \ldots, \xi_i, \ldots, \xi_n)[/tex]

And symmetric and antisymmetric condition is:

[tex]\Psi_{boson} (\xi_1, \ldots, \xi_i, \ldots, \xi_j, \ldots, \xi_n) = \Psi_{boson} (\xi_1, \ldots, \xi_j, \ldots, \xi_i, \ldots, \xi_n)[/tex]

[tex]\Psi_{fermion} (\xi_1, \ldots, \xi_i, \ldots, \xi_j, \ldots, \xi_n) = - \Psi_{fermion} (\xi_1, \ldots, \xi_j, \ldots, \xi_i, \ldots, \xi_n)[/tex]

If you link the first condition with the third condition, you see that the wavefunction is equal to 0. This means that particle i and particle j can't be in the same individual state.

MiGUi

Related to How Does the Pauli Exclusion Principle Influence Electron Pairing in Orbitals?

What is the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

Who discovered the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle was first proposed by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925.

What is the significance of the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure of atoms and the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. It also explains the properties of various materials, such as their electrical conductivity and chemical reactivity.

Does the Pauli Exclusion Principle apply to all particles?

No, the Pauli Exclusion Principle only applies to fermions, which include electrons, protons, neutrons, and other subatomic particles with half-integer spin. Bosons, on the other hand, can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle affect the behavior of electrons in an atom?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle dictates that each electron in an atom must have a unique set of quantum numbers, which determines its energy level, orbital shape, and orientation. This results in the arrangement of electrons in different shells and subshells within an atom, leading to the formation of chemical bonds and the stability of matter.