How Does the Reciprocal Nature of Partial Derivatives Apply to Ideal Gases?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
ramsharmjarm
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that
(∂P/∂V) n,T = 1/(∂V/∂P) n,T

n and T are supposed to mean that theyre just constants

Homework Equations



Ideal Gas

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried

(∂P/∂V) n,T= ∂nRT/v/∂V = ∂nRT/V ∂V

then I am stuck here
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ramsharmjarm said:

Homework Statement



Prove that
(∂P/∂V) n,T = 1/(∂V/∂P) n,T

n and T are supposed to mean that theyre just constants

Homework Equations



Ideal Gas

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried

(∂P/∂V) n,T= ∂nRT/v/∂V = ∂nRT/V ∂V

then I am stuck here

Why are you stuck? n, R and T are constant. Move them outside the differentiation. Now you've just got ∂(1/V)/∂V. What's that?