How does the time evolution of the w_i look like for irreversible processes?

In summary, the density operator \rho = \sum_{i} w_i |a_i> <a_i| evolves in time with the time-evolution operator U(t) when the ensemble remains undisturbed. For irreversible processes, the w_i may change, leading to a more random ensemble and a diagonal form for the density matrix with equal values for the w_i. However, it is unclear how the w_i evolve in these processes and why a transition from a pure ensemble to a mixed ensemble is not allowed. This is a topic that Sakurai does not address in his book and further research or references may be needed to understand it.
hellfire
Science Advisor
The density operador which describes an ensemble, [tex]
\rho = \sum_{i} w_i |a_i> <a_i|[/tex] (represented in the basis in which it is diagonal), evolves in time such that [tex]|a_i(t)> = U(t) |a_i> [/tex]when the enemble remains undisturbed, i.e. the w_i do not change.

But for irreversible processes the w_i may change towards a more random ensemble, driving the density matrix to a diagonal form with equal values for the w_i.

This is what I got after reading chapter 3.4 of Sakurai´s Modern Quantum Mechanics. But what Sakurai does not explain is how the time evolution of the w_i may look like for irreversible processes. May be someone can give a hint or a reference.

The background of my question: I´ve read that a transition from a pure ensemble (density matrix has only one element different from zero) to a mixed ensemble (with several w_i different from zero) is not allowed in QM (I read this in relation with black holes). I would like to understand why.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry that I can't help you with your question at all, but is it at all possible that you could help me out a little, and explain your question a little?

SImply explain the variable in the equations, explain what the equation is for, what each part of it represents etc... Maybe if you help me understand the equations, I may be able to eventually help you?

(OK, so maybe that's a little unlikely...but I'll try.)

I am not sure whether I am able to be more clear with this question, but I will try (although I am afraid I will still repeat).

As you may know, an ensemble can be described with a density operator [tex]\rho[/tex] such that [tex]\rho = \sum_{i} w_i |a_i> <a_i|[/tex] (represented in the basis in which it is diagonal), where each of the w_i is a real number representing the relative population of elements in a given coherent state [tex]|a_i>[/tex] and such that [tex]\sum_{i}w_i = 1[/tex].

In ensembles which remain undisturbed (relative populations remain constant) the [tex]|a_i>[/tex] evolve in time affected by the time-evolution operator [tex]|a_i(t)> = U(t) |a_i>[/tex] (Schroedinger picture).

This is what I read in Sakurai´s book. Now my question.

I assume (but I am not really sure) that in ensembles which do not remain undisturbed (physical processes which are not reversible), the time evolution may be described as a change of the w_i. The entropy is defined as [tex] S = - k \sum_{i} w_i ln w_i [/tex]. How does entropy increase otherwise, if the w_i do not evolve?.

Now, if the w_i may evolve, why is a transition between a pure ensemble (only one w_i) and a mixed ensemble (several w_i) not possible?

Related to How does the time evolution of the w_i look like for irreversible processes?

1. What is the concept of time evolution of ensembles?

The time evolution of ensembles refers to the study of how the properties of a group of particles or systems change over time. It involves tracking the changes in the distribution of the ensemble's properties as it evolves over time.

2. How is time evolution of ensembles related to statistical mechanics?

The time evolution of ensembles is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles. It allows us to make predictions about the macroscopic properties of a system based on the microscopic properties of its individual components.

3. What is the difference between microstate and macrostate in time evolution of ensembles?

In time evolution of ensembles, a microstate refers to the specific configuration of the individual particles in the system at a given moment in time. A macrostate, on the other hand, refers to the overall properties of the entire ensemble at a given time.

4. How does the time evolution of ensembles relate to entropy?

In statistical mechanics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. The time evolution of ensembles is closely related to entropy, as it allows us to predict the changes in the entropy of a system over time as it evolves.

5. What are some real-world applications of time evolution of ensembles?

The concept of time evolution of ensembles has a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems such as gases, liquids, and solids, and is also used in fields such as thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and molecular dynamics simulations.