Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does Wavefront technology used in optics work?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    Hi Everyone

I'm new to PF, interestng reading, great site :eek:)

I have a question relating to wavefront technology in optics.

I visited my optician and they tried to sell me one of the new generation progressive lenses made as free form technology. Free form technology I understand. However he told me the lens also incorporates Wavefront technology, this I do not understand and wanted to know more. I asked the optician to explain Wavefront technology.

In general, Wavefront technology corrects abberations caused by the design of the lens. My question is how are the abberations corrected?

Ikandi

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Progressive lenses are simply bifocals (ie the top and bottom of the lens have different focal lengths) except instead of having a sudden line where the lens switches from one to another - they smoothly change the curvature over a small distance so you don't see a line. Slightly more complicated to make, but easy enough with CNC controled tools.

The rest of the stuff is just marketing - it's like those fake chemistry sounding words they use to sell face cream.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    mgb_phys, Thanks for your reply. I understand the concept of progressive lenses, aspheric over standard spheric and back surface free form over front surface molded lenses.

It's this concept of wavefront technology that troubles me. Opticians can tell me what it does but not how it does it :eek:)

Would I see more abberations without 'wavefront technology' or is it as you say marketing stuff?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook