How Far Does a Box Slide Down an Inclined Plane to Compress a Spring?

In summary, a 31kg box slides down a ramp inclined at 31 degrees, hits a spring with a constant of 9.8 * 10^2N/m, and undergoes a compression of 0.26m before coming to a stop. The total distance the box travels can be determined by using energy conservation and solving for the initial height above the horizontal. The height can be found using the equation mgh = 1/2kx^2 and then using trigonometry to find the total distance traveled down the slope. However, the given question may be missing information as it is not specified whether the spring is on the horizontal or the slope.
domo

Homework Statement

(My textbooks are in french, so I'm translating, might get some terms wrong.. )

Starting from rest, a box of 31kg slides down a ramp inclined at an angle of 31 degrees, relative to the horizontal. At the bottom, the box hits a spring with a constant of 9.8 * 10^2N/m. The spring undergoes a compression of 0.26m before the box immobilizes. Determine the total distance that the box travelled, consider the friction negligible.

Homework Equations

Et1 = Et2
F = -kx
Ee = 1/2kx^2
Ec = 7/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really can't find out how to determine the distance the box traveled. I know that i have to start out off by finding the amount of force it takes to compress the spring by 0.26m. But I have no idea how to do the rest. Any help would be very much apreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a sketch of the problem. The mass is released from rest from some height above the horizontal, moving down the incline and ultimately coming to rest because of the spring force which retards subsequent motion. Write energy conservation to relate the initial and final states of the system, introducing variables for the height above the ground where the mass started and the displacement of the spring.

Last edited:
Use ##E_G = E_K##.

Then use ##E_K = E_E##.

So really ##E_G = E_E##.

Was there a height given in the question?

The height was not given in the question, that's what really stumped me because I cannot calculate Eg..

domo said:
The height was not given in the question, that's what really stumped me because I cannot calculate Eg..
The height of the mass above the ground does not need to be specified numerically - the angle with the horizontal is enough. You can relate the height of the mass above the ground to the distance it travels down the slope via simple trigonometry.

CAF123 said:
The height of the mass above the ground does not need to be specified numerically - the angle with the horizontal is enough. You can relate the height of the mass above the ground to the distance it travels down the slope via simple trigonometry.

I'm sorry, I just really don't understand how I'm supposed to solve this question. A bit more help would be appreciated. I'm clueless right now

domo said:
I'm sorry, I just really don't understand how I'm supposed to solve this question. A bit more help would be appreciated. I'm clueless right now

I believe this question is missing information.

Zondrina said:
I believe this question is missing information.

It is not :(, my textbook was able to come up with an answer for a similar question, just with different variables. Is it possible that all that I have to find is the height, using conservation of energy; then from there use sin to find the length hypotenuse? This seems to simple.

For example;

= Eg1+Ek1+Ee1 = Eg2+Ek2+Ee2
= Eg1 = Ee2
= mgh = 1/2kx^2
= (31 * 9.81)h = 0.5(8.9*10^2)(0.3)^2
= 304.11h = 40.05
= h = 0.132m

Now I can simply do

0.132/sin29 = 0.272m which would be my answer?
This question is not in my textbook therefore I have no way in checking if this answer is legitimate..

Last edited:
domo said:
See the attached sketch. The mass travels down the slope a distance h and then the spring is compressed a distance x. The box is shown like a rigid body for clarity, for purposes of the problem represent the box as a point particle (i.e with all the mass concentrated at the centre of mass) What is the energy of the system before it is released? What is the energy of the system when the box is at rest after the full compression of the spring?

Relate these via energy conservation and solve for h.

Attachments

• System.png
    System.png
    1 KB · Views: 395
CAF123 said:
See the attached sketch. The mass travels down the slope a distance h and then the spring is compressed a distance x. The box is shown like a rigid body for clarity, for purposes of the problem represent the box as a point particle (i.e with all the mass concentrated at the centre of mass) What is the energy of the system before it is released? What is the energy of the system when the box is at rest after the full compression of the spring?

Relate these via energy conservation and solve for h.

What you said makes sense, however the spring is a part of the slope, therefore it's not seperately attached like your sketch

domo said:
What you said makes sense, however the spring is a part of the slope, therefore it's not seperately attached like your sketch

If the question is as such: http://gyazo.com/3ba5fb4ac8d8f775df1955a1f38593ff

Then information is missing. This can be observed by simply trying to relate the information:

##sin(31°) = \frac{h}{d+0.26m}##

Where ##d## is the unknown distance. One equation with two unknowns isn't going to help.

From the wording of the question;
domo said:
At the bottom, the box hits a spring...

I interpret this to mean that the spring is on the horizontal and not the slope. Note that the solution you posted in #8 was exactly what I had in mind.

domo said:

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
CAF123 said:
From the wording of the question;I interpret this to mean that the spring is on the horizontal and not the slope. Note that the solution you posted in #8 was exactly what I had in mind.

Your diagram in post #9 is incorrect unfortunately. Think about it, the way you've defined the height has an x direction to it... which is wrong. Wouldn't that mean there would always be gravitational energy even though the height was zero? We both know this is impossible.

Hi Zondrina,
Zondrina said:
Your diagram in post #9 is incorrect unfortunately. Think about it, the way you've defined the height has an x direction to it... which is wrong. Wouldn't that mean there would always be gravitational energy even though the height was zero? We both know this is impossible.
Just because the solution in #8 used h as the vertical distance of the box above the ground does not mean I have to use this letter to! Instead I denote hsinθ as the vertical - I.e what I can write is $$mg(h \sin \theta) = \frac{k}{2}x^2 \Rightarrow h = \frac{k x^2}{2mg \sin \theta}$$

CAF123 said:
Hi Zondrina,

Just because the solution in #8 used h as the vertical distance of the box above the ground does not mean I have to use this letter to! Instead I denote hsinθ as the vertical - I.e what I can write is $$mg(h \sin \theta) = \frac{k}{2}x^2 \Rightarrow h = \frac{k x^2}{2mg \sin \theta}$$

I see what you're thinking, but regardless of letter naming conventions it still doesn't work. You're simply saying:

##sin(\theta) = \frac{o}{h} \Rightarrow o = hsin(\theta)##.

The problem is, the hypotenuse is not given. So any further computations would be useless taking this route.

Also, the problem with the formula you've gotten for ##h## is that you're trying to find the distance (namely ##x##), not the hypotenuse.

##h = \frac{k x^2}{2mg \sin \theta}##

Both ##x## and ##h## are unknown. One equation with two unknowns will not help.

Zondrina said:
If the question is as such: http://gyazo.com/3ba5fb4ac8d8f775df1955a1f38593ff

Then information is missing. This can be observed by simply trying to relate the information:

##sin(31°) = \frac{h}{d+0.26m}##

Where ##d## is the unknown distance. One equation with two unknowns isn't going to help.

You forget the physics of the problem.
The conservation of energy will allow to calculate the height or some related quantity (depends on notation).

Zondrina said:
The problem is, the hypotenuse is not given.
Exactly, the hypotenuse is what we need to find.
Both ##x## and ##h## are unknown. One equation with two unknowns will not help.
x is not an unknown, it is the displacement of the spring.

Related to How Far Does a Box Slide Down an Inclined Plane to Compress a Spring?

1. What is elastic energy?

Elastic energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is released when the object returns to its original shape or position.

2. How is elastic energy related to ramps?

Elastic energy can be used in ramps to help objects move up and down the ramp. When an object is placed on a ramp, the elastic energy stored in the object is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the ramp. This helps the object overcome the force of gravity and move up the ramp.

3. What is the role of gravity in elastic energy and ramps?

Gravity plays a key role in elastic energy and ramps. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. When an object is on a ramp, gravity is constantly acting on it, pulling it down towards the ground. The elastic energy stored in the object helps it overcome this force and move up the ramp.

4. How does the angle of a ramp affect elastic energy?

The angle of a ramp can affect the amount of elastic energy that is required to move an object up the ramp. The steeper the ramp, the more elastic energy is needed to overcome the force of gravity and move the object up the ramp. This is because the steeper the ramp, the greater the distance the object needs to travel to reach the top.

5. Can elastic energy be converted into other forms of energy on a ramp?

Yes, elastic energy can be converted into other forms of energy on a ramp. As an object moves down the ramp, the elastic energy stored in the object is converted into kinetic energy. This kinetic energy can then be used to do work, such as moving another object or generating electricity.