How far does the particle travel?

In summary, the problem involves a fixed charge and a moving particle with an initial speed of 65.0 m/s and an unknown distance between them. The equation KE + PE = constant can be used to solve for the distance traveled before the particle's speed is zero, where KE = 1/2 mv2 and PE is the potential energy of the system.
hichangkyu

Homework Statement

A charge of -1.8 µC is fixed in place. From a horizontal distance of 0.0450 m, a particle of mass 2.25 10-3 kg and charge -1.7 µC is fired with an initial speed of 65.0 m/s directly toward the fixed charge. How far does the particle travel before its speed is zero?

Homework Equations

q(V) = 1/2mv^2 (??)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm afraid I'm very lost on this one. I messed around with the equation for collisions a bit but I can't seem to get in the right direction much less get the answer.

I would be grateful if you guys could provide me with some hints to get started >.<
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

hichangkyu said:
A charge of -1.8 µC is fixed in place. From a horizontal distance of 0.0450 m, a particle of mass 2.25 10-3 kg and charge -1.7 µC is fired with an initial speed of 65.0 m/s directly toward the fixed charge. How far does the particle travel before its speed is zero?

Hi hichangkyu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: just use KE + PE = constant. :smile:

I am having the same problem. I do not get KE + PE = constant?!

nckaytee said:
I am having the same problem. I do not get KE + PE = constant?!

Hi nckaytee! :smile:

KE = 1/2 mv2, and PE = … ? :smile:

1. How is the distance traveled by a particle calculated?

The distance traveled by a particle is calculated by multiplying the speed of the particle by the time it has been traveling.

2. Does the mass of a particle affect how far it can travel?

Yes, the mass of a particle does affect how far it can travel. Heavier particles have more inertia and require more energy to move, so they may not travel as far as lighter particles with the same initial speed.

3. What factors can affect the distance a particle can travel?

The distance a particle can travel can be affected by several factors such as the initial speed, the mass of the particle, the presence of any external forces, and the medium through which it is traveling.

4. Is there a limit to how far a particle can travel?

There is no limit to how far a particle can travel, as long as it continues to have a constant speed and there are no external forces acting on it to significantly affect its trajectory.

5. Can a particle travel an infinite distance?

No, a particle cannot travel an infinite distance. It will eventually encounter some sort of force or barrier that will cause it to stop or change its direction, thus limiting its distance traveled.