How Does the Direction of Fields Affect Charged Particle Motion?

In summary: If field is directed along x-axis and charge is fired in y direction then the plane in which particle moves can help us distinguish between electric and magnetic field .If it moves in only x-y plane then field is electric , else magnetic .
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

fields.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite understanding what is given in the question .Are the two directions of the fields known to us ?

Assuming we know the two directions , say for example if we know that the two fields are in x and y directions , but we don't know which one points in x direction .

Now if we fire the charged particle in y direction and path is parabolic , then magnetic field is in y direction and electric field is in x direction .If not , then particle is fired in x direction and path of particle is analysed .

But correct answer is option c) . Could someone help me understand how option C) is correct ? What does it mean to fire the particle in opposite direction ?

Attachments

• fields.png
    fields.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 911
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been introduced to the vector form of the Lorentz Force equation?

What happens to the magnetic force when Velocity vector flips direction? Does it flip too?

Thank you for replying .

gneill said:
Have you been introduced to the vector form of the Lorentz Force equation?

qv × B + qE

PumpkinCougar95 said:
What happens to the magnetic force when Velocity vector flips direction? Does it flip too?

Force changes direction .

Yes, so if you were to fire the particle from opposite directions, what would happen to the deflection?

PumpkinCougar95 said:
Yes, so if you were to fire the particle from opposite directions, what would happen to the deflection?

That's exactly what I don't understand . What do you mean by firing the particle in opposite directions .

Direction of what and opposite to what ?

Does the question imply that the two directions of fields are known to us ?

Last edited:
@gneill , is their only one field (either magnetic or electric) present in the region ?

Jahnavi said:
@gneill , is their only one field (either magnetic or electric) present in the region ?
I would think so, yes. I believe that the idea is to determine whether the field in a region is a magnetic or an electric field.

By "firing in the opposite direction" they mean reversing the particle's initial velocity.

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
I would think so, yes. I believe that the idea is to determine whether the field in a region is a magnetic or an electric field.

By "firing in the opposite direction" they mean reversing the particle's initial velocity.

Oh ! I was interpreting it differently .I was thinking that both the fields are simultaneously present in the region but their directions were known .But which field was pointing in which direction was not known .

On re reading the problem , I think my interpretation is not entirely wrong or is it ?

In my mind, if you are asked to distinguish between two things, it will be one or the other but not both.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks gneill !

@gneill ,

I might be over thinking but why can't option A) be correct ?

If field is directed along x-axis and charge is fired in y direction then the plane in which particle moves can help us distinguish between electric and magnetic field .

If it moves in only x-y plane then field is electric , else magnetic .

Please help me understand why the above reasoning is wrong and option a) is incorrect .

Perhaps the question is poorly presented. If you knew in advance the direction of the field then you could determine the nature of the field by the behavior of a charged particle projected perpendicularly to the field, as the plane of the trajectory would be an indicator, as you've surmised.

I think that the intent was for you to recognize that only the magnetic component of the Lorentz Force is affected by the velocity vector.

Likes cnh1995 and Jahnavi

Related to How Does the Direction of Fields Affect Charged Particle Motion?

1. How does a charged particle move in a magnetic field?

When a charged particle enters a magnetic field, it will experience a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the particle to move in a circular path, known as a Lorentz force. The radius of this path is dependent on the particle's velocity, charge, and the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between a positively charged particle and a negatively charged particle in motion?

A positively charged particle will experience a force in the opposite direction of a negatively charged particle when moving in the same magnetic field. This is due to the direction of the force being dependent on the charge of the particle, with opposite charges experiencing opposite forces.

3. How does the speed of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The speed of a charged particle affects the radius of its circular motion in a magnetic field. The higher the speed, the larger the radius of the circular path. This is because the force on the particle is dependent on its velocity, with a higher velocity resulting in a larger force and thus a larger radius of motion.

4. Can a charged particle move in a straight line in a magnetic field?

No, a charged particle will always experience a force in a magnetic field, causing it to move in a curved path. In order for a charged particle to move in a straight line, it would need to have an initial velocity that is parallel to the magnetic field lines and not perpendicular to them.

5. How is the motion of a charged particle affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field affects the radius of a charged particle's circular motion. A stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a larger radius. This is due to the force on the particle being directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.