How Far From the Fountain Do the Joggers Meet?

• Thread starter a.k
  • Start date
In summary, two joggers, A and B, with constant velocities of 4.0 mph and 3.0 mph, respectively, approach a water fountain from opposite directions. When they meet, they are 0.14 miles west of the water fountain. This was determined by using the equation t=d/v and finding that the total distance of 5 miles can be covered in 5/7 hours with a relative speed of 7 mph.
a.k

Homework Statement

Two joggers are approaching a water fountain from opposite directions. Jogger A begins 3.0 miles west of the water fountain, with a constant velocity of 4.0 mph due east. Jogger B begins 2.0 miles east of the water fountain, with a constant velocity of 3.0 mph due west. How far are the joggers from the water fountain when they meet one another?

Homework Equations

t=d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

xa=3 miles west @ 4mph
xb=2 miles @ 3 mph

t=5/7

I need some guidance as to what I should do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi a.k! :wink:
a.k said:
t=d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

xa=3 miles west @ 4mph
xb=2 miles @ 3 mph

t=5/7

fine so far! :smile:

you've found that, with a relative speed of 7 mph, and a distance of 5 miles, the time taken to reduce the distance to 0 is 5/7 hour

sooo … starting at either end (it makes no difference), at what point will they meet? :wink:

I still don't understand.

do you mean you didn't understand this bit? :confused:
tiny-tim said:
you've found that, with a relative speed of 7 mph, and a distance of 5 miles, the time taken to reduce the distance to 0 is 5/7 hour

Unfortunately so.

I am curious if this is correct:

5/7*4mph and 5/7*3mph

20/7 and 15/7

2.86 and 2.14 miles

2.86-2.14= 0.14 miles west of the fountain

I think I got this by a fluke by using d=tv then subtracted the mileage.

a.k said:
5/7*4mph and 5/7*3mph

20/7 and 15/7

2.86 and 2.14 miles

2.86-2.14= 0.14 miles west of the fountain.

yes this is correct

21/7 miles minus 20/7 miles = 1/7 miles west

14/7 miles minus 15/7 miles = minus 1/7 miles east = 1/7 miles west

either way you get 1/7 miles west :smile:

i don't understand what you're not getting about this :confused:

I don't know either tiny tim.

I am happy I was able to figure it out though.

a.k said:

I still don't understand.

Basically, your total distance is 2 + 3 miles = 5 miles, and speed is 4 - (-3) = 7 mph. You have distance, speed and time. Surely you know the equation that makes it all work.

Anyways, your most recent work looks fine.

Related to How Far From the Fountain Do the Joggers Meet?

1. What is the concept of distance in science?

In science, distance refers to the amount of space between two objects or points. It is often measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. How is distance calculated?

Distance can be calculated by using the formula distance = speed x time. This formula is based on the principle that speed is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points.

4. How does distance affect the speed of an object?

The greater the distance an object travels, the longer it takes to cover that distance and therefore the slower its speed. This is because speed is calculated as distance divided by time.

5. Can distance be negative?

No, distance cannot be negative as it is a physical quantity that represents a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value. However, displacement can be negative as it is a vector quantity and takes into account direction.