How far will a pullback car go? Spring and friction coefficients.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a pullback toy car to determine the coefficient of friction and the coefficient of spring. It is suggested to use a ramp to determine the coefficient of friction without pulling back the car, as the spring force may interfere with the results. The use of a ramp is also suggested to determine the coefficient of spring by pulling the car back at the lower end of the ramp and lowering the angle until it can climb the ramp. It is also mentioned that if the car has rolling wheels, the coefficient of static or kinetic friction becomes irrelevant and rolling friction and air resistance will be the retarding forces. However, if the car is sliding on a horizontal surface, the kinetic friction and work energy rule can be used to
Totally

Homework Statement

A pullback toy car is pulled back. How far will it go before it stops?

x(0)=0
v(0)=0
a(x<x0)=-k(x0-x)
a(x>x0)=μg
v(tf)=0
tf=D

Homework Equations

Fs=-kx
F=mg
Ff=μF

The Attempt at a Solution

d2x/dt2=1/m(k(x0-x)-μmg)

Later in the run spring constant is irrelevant, so
d2/dt2=1/m(-μmg)

I think I can figure out the μ by pulling the car back on the ramp and lowering the angle between the ramp and the surface until car starts rolling. Then the tangent of that angle tanθ=μ

Would this be correct? Also, what experiment or method would you propose to figure out the coefficient of spring? Disassembling the toy is not an option.

I apologize I didn't put formulas the proper way, however I couldn't get Latex to work even though I followed FAQ instructions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is assuming you are letting the car go down the ramp and are slowly increasing the angle of inclination.

I believe that the use of a ramp is correct in finding the coefficient of friction but it should be done without puling back the car. If it were pulled back, the spring force may easily overcome the frictional force at a smaller angle and the reading would be incorrect.

Is the car sliding on the horizontal surface? If it has rolling wheels then the coefficient of static or kinetic friction becomes irrelevant and rolling friction and air resistance will be the retarding forces. If it is sliding and air resistance is negligible, we can consider kinetic friction and work energy rule will give the results easily.

Sunil Simha said:
This is assuming you are letting the car go down the ramp and are slowly increasing the angle of inclination.

I believe that the use of a ramp is correct in finding the coefficient of friction but it should be done without puling back the car. If it were pulled back, the spring force may easily overcome the frictional force at a smaller angle and the reading would be incorrect.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking about pulling the car back at the lower end of the plane and lowering the angle until it can climb the ramp.

mukundpa said:
Is the car sliding on the horizontal surface? If it has rolling wheels then the coefficient of static or kinetic friction becomes irrelevant and rolling friction and air resistance will be the retarding forces. If it is sliding and air resistance is negligible, we can consider kinetic friction and work energy rule will give the results easily.

Interesting approach, thanks for the idea! And yes, the toy is being pulled back on the horizontal surface. Do you have any ideas how to figure out the spring coefficient?

I would first clarify the context of this problem. Are we assuming that the pullback car is on a flat surface or on a ramp? This would affect the values of the spring and friction coefficients.

Assuming that the pullback car is on a flat surface, the equation for the acceleration of the car would be:

a = (Fs - Ff)/m

where Fs is the force from the spring, Ff is the force of friction, and m is the mass of the car.

To determine the spring constant, one possible method would be to measure the displacement of the car from its initial position when it comes to a stop. This would give us the value of x0, and we can use the equation Fs = -kx to solve for the spring constant.

Another method would be to measure the time it takes for the car to come to a stop. Using the equation v(tf) = 0, we can calculate the final velocity of the car. Then, using the equation v^2 = v0^2 + 2aΔx, where v0 is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), we can solve for the displacement and then use the equation Fs = -kx to solve for the spring constant.

As for determining the coefficient of friction, your proposed method of using the angle of the ramp is a good approach. Another method could be to measure the force required to pull the car back at a constant velocity, and then use the equation Ff = μmg to solve for the coefficient of friction.

In conclusion, there are various methods we can use to determine the spring and friction coefficients in this problem. It is important to carefully consider the context and assumptions of the problem before choosing the most appropriate method.

1. How does the spring coefficient affect the distance a pullback car will go?

The spring coefficient, also known as the spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring in the pullback car. A higher spring coefficient means the spring is stiffer and will provide more force to propel the car forward, resulting in a greater distance traveled.

2. What role does friction play in determining the distance a pullback car will go?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can greatly affect the distance a pullback car will go. Friction between the wheels and the surface can slow down the car, resulting in a shorter distance traveled. Reducing friction, for example by using smoother wheels, can help the car go further.

3. How can I calculate the maximum distance a pullback car will go?

The maximum distance a pullback car will go can be calculated using the equation d = (mv²)/(2F), where d is the distance, m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, and F is the net force acting on the car. This equation takes into account both the spring coefficient and friction to determine the maximum distance.

4. Is there a limit to how far a pullback car can go?

There is no specific limit to how far a pullback car can go, as it depends on various factors like the spring coefficient, friction, and the surface it is traveling on. However, the maximum distance will be reached when the car's kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the spring and friction forces.

5. Can the distance a pullback car goes be improved?

Yes, there are several ways to improve the distance a pullback car goes. These include using a stiffer spring, reducing friction by using smoother wheels or a smoother surface, and reducing the mass of the car. Additionally, adjusting the angle at which the car is pulled back can also affect the distance traveled.