How Far Will an Arrow Travel When Launched at a Specific Angle and Velocity?

• Thread starter patv
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an arrow being launched with an initial velocity and angle, and trying to find the distance it will land on the ground. The conversation covers various equations and attempts at finding the solution, eventually leading to using the distance formula to find the time and taking into account the arrow's initial launch height. With the help of others, the correct answer was obtained.
patv
[SOLVED] Arrow Being Launched Distance

Homework Statement

An Arrow is launched with an initial velocity of 12.0m/s at an angle of 22.0 degrees with the horizontal, and is released at a height of 2.5m above the ground. How far away does it land on the ground?

Homework Equations

d=vit + [tex]\frac{1}{2} [/tex]at2
vf2 = vi + 2ad
a =[tex]\frac{vf - vi} {t} [/tex] (I couldn't get this to display properly, but where it has sub in square brackets, it should be subscript.)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sin{22}[/tex] =[tex]\frac{vy}{12}[/tex]
4.5m/s=vy
[tex]\cos{22}[/tex] = [ vx ] over 12 (I got an error the first time I tried this in latex, sorry)
vx = 11.14 m/s

After getting the velocity in the x and y direction, I attempted to find the height above the original shooting height the arrow would reach. I used a formula I cannot recall at the moment, and got 1m, but was informed that this was not correct.
Next, I will attempt to find the time the arrow will be in the air.
I tried to sub vt into the place of d in the equation below, and this gave me a time of 2.177 seconds. The substitute teacher said this was incorrect, but did not give a reason.

d=vit + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at2

I know I'm supposed to find time first, but I really am not sure of how to get this. Can anyone provide assistance, or insight as to which formula to use, or where I am going wrong?
Thanks
Below is a diagram of how I think it would be drawn.
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/9348/fw3tixcm6.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so a good start by splitting the initial velocity into two components (x,y).

The next step you'll want to do is calculate how long it's in the air for. So define the y point that it's launched from as zero.
You can use the formula: [tex] s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex] (where s = displacement, a = acceleration, u = initial velocity and t = time) to calculate the time it's in the air.
Such that s = -2.5, u = 4.5, a = -9.81 and you're solving for t.

We also know that there is no horizontal acceleration, therefore velocity is constant.
You have initial velocity, time, acceleration and you're solving for distance.

Once again you can use [tex] s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex] however a = 0 therefore it becomes [tex] s = ut [/tex]

Good luck.

Finding the time with the distance equation like you tried is the way to go. What you neglected to do however is take into account the arrows initial launch height. The more general form of that distance equation is:

[tex] s = s_{0} +ut+\frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]

(You can click on my latex image to see how to render subscripts and superscripts correctly)

Thanks guys!
I ended up getting the correct answer, with your help. I can't recall the answer, I don't have it here, but it was correct.
Thanks!

Related to How Far Will an Arrow Travel When Launched at a Specific Angle and Velocity?

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance an arrow is launched?

The formula for calculating the distance an arrow is launched is d = v2sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity of the arrow, θ is the angle at which the arrow is launched, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the distance of an arrow?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the distance an arrow will travel. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, as this angle allows for the greatest combination of horizontal and vertical velocity components.

3. What factors affect the initial velocity of an arrow?

The initial velocity of an arrow is affected by several factors including the tension of the bowstring, the draw length of the bow, the mass of the arrow, and the weight of the arrowhead.

4. Can weather conditions affect the distance an arrow is launched?

Yes, weather conditions such as wind and humidity can affect the distance an arrow is launched. Wind can alter the trajectory of the arrow, while humidity can affect the density of the air, which can impact the arrow's flight.

5. How can the distance an arrow is launched be increased?

The distance an arrow is launched can be increased by increasing the initial velocity of the arrow, adjusting the angle of launch, using a lighter arrow, and practicing proper shooting techniques. Additionally, using a bow with a higher draw weight can also increase the distance the arrow is launched.