How Far Will an Object Slide Due to Friction?

In summary, the object stops moving after traveling 10 m. The equation for distance traveled in one step is Velocity - initial velocity / acceleration = time. The equation for time is Velocity = (initial velocity / (acceleration * time))
mongojerry36

Homework Statement

There is an object that is 10kg. This objects initial speed is 10 m/s. The friction working against the object is .1---What is the distance to when the object stops moving?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u(k)= f(k)/N...The N, i think, is 100 because of the gravity (10) and the weight of the object (10). Then i had to multiply that by the U(k), (.1), which gave me 10. Then i used f=ma. The mass is 10 kg and the force is 10, which gave me the acceleration of 100 m/s, which does not make sense.

I did not know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
mongojerry36 said:
Then i used f=ma. The mass is 10 kg and the force is 10, which gave me the acceleration of 100 m/s, which does not make sense.
Why did you multiply mass times force to get acceleration? (Rewrite "F=ma" to solve for the acceleration.)

Ok...But that will only give me 1 m/s. How would I then solve to find how far the object will go until it stops.
thanks

mongojerry36 said:
Ok...But that will only give me 1 m/s. How would I then solve to find how far the object will go until it stops.
thanks
Since you've gone to the trouble of finding acceleration, you may as well use it. What kinematic formula relates distance to speed and acceleration?

If you've covered energy methods, you can also calculate the work done by friction to bring the object to rest. Same answer, of course, but it might be easier.

(Also: The unit for acceleration is m/s^2, not m/s--that's velocity.)

Maybe d=st...but I only know speed.

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

will that work?

Since you don't have the time, if you use that formula you'll need to use another one to find the time.

But there's another formula that has exactly what you need with no extra variables. That will allow you to solve for distance in one step. Find it.

Velocity - initial velocity / acceleration = time...So the velocity would be 1 - 10 divided by 10...Am I right? which would give you .9...?

Related to How Far Will an Object Slide Due to Friction?

1. What is the concept of "Find Distance w/ Friction" in physics?

Find Distance w/ Friction is a concept in physics that involves calculating the distance traveled by an object when there is friction present. It takes into account the force of friction, the coefficient of friction, and the mass of the object to determine the distance traveled.

2. Why is it important to consider friction when calculating distance?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it is present in almost all real-world scenarios. Ignoring friction can lead to inaccurate calculations and predictions. Therefore, it is essential to consider friction when calculating distance to obtain more realistic and accurate results.

3. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined experimentally by conducting tests where the force of friction is measured for different surfaces and objects. It is a dimensionless quantity, and its value depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the normal force between them.

4. What are some common examples of friction in our daily lives?

Some common examples of friction in our daily lives include walking on the ground, using brakes while driving a car, rubbing our hands together to create heat, and using a pencil to write on paper. Friction is present in almost all human activities and is essential for many everyday tasks.

5. How can I use the formula for "Find Distance w/ Friction" in real-life scenarios?

The formula for "Find Distance w/ Friction" can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the stopping distance of a car, determining the distance a ball travels when rolling on a surface, or calculating the distance a person slides when they fall on the ground. It is a fundamental concept in physics that has practical applications in our daily lives.