How Fast Can a Spider Lower Itself Without Breaking Its Web?

• Thread starter bobsagget
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the minimal acceleration with which a 5.00 g spider can lower itself to the floor using its web with a tensile strength of 3.00 x 10-2N. It is suggested to use Newton's second law to find the relationship between tension in the web and acceleration. The only relevant forces are the force of gravity and the tension in the web, which should be equal for the web to not break. The critical tension, just before the web breaks, is the value that should be used in calculations.
bobsagget
a 5.00 g spider is lowering itself to the floor. Its web has a tensile strength of 3.00 x 10-2N. What is the minimal accerleration with which the spider can lower itself?

So i don't know how to begin, would the tensile strength of the web be equal to the total forces? as it is equal to force of gravity and normal force? what would the steps be and how to get the answer and what's the answer? thanks a bunch! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bobsagget! :smile:

Use good ol' Newton's second law to find how the tension in the web depends on the acceleration. :wink:

so would the force of gravity and the normal force need to equal the total tensile strength of the web? then i can solve for acceleration after.

bobsagget said:
so would the force of gravity and the normal force need to equal the total tensile strength of the web? then i can solve for acceleration after.

What normal force? :confused:

Apply Newton's second law !

ok so no normal force, so how would i draw that as a fbd though? the forces are 1) force of gravity down(mg), and anything else? or would there just be on and then i have to find the acceleration if the total force applied has to be equal to that of the webs strength

bobsagget said:
… and anything else? …

Yes, the tension!

and that tension is the 3.00 x10-2

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yes, that's the critical tension (just before the web breaks), so that's the value you should use in your calculations.

What do you get? :smile:

Related to How Fast Can a Spider Lower Itself Without Breaking Its Web?

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies in the universe.

How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of spacetime, which is influenced by the presence of massive objects. The more massive an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

Why do objects fall towards the ground?

This is due to the gravitational force between the Earth and the object. The Earth's mass creates a large gravitational pull, causing all objects to fall towards its center.

Can gravity be turned off or stopped?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be turned off or stopped. It is always present and affects all objects with mass.

How does gravity affect the human body?

Gravity plays a crucial role in our daily lives, keeping us grounded and allowing us to move and function normally. However, it can also cause strain on the body, such as when astronauts experience bone and muscle loss in space due to the lack of gravity.