How Fast is a Galaxy Receding When Hydrogen Light Frequency Changes?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving the calculation of the speed at which a distant galaxy is receding from Earth based on the observed frequency of light from hydrogen atoms. The formula for relativistic Doppler shift is mentioned and a helpful hint is given to solve the problem. Eventually, the correct answer is obtained, and the helpful person is thanked.
.cfg
Hey all. I've got a physics question due tonight (Friday) at 11pm CST and I'm stumped. Any input at all would be helpful, thanks!

A hydrogen atom, when vigorously perturbed, can emit light with a frequency of 6.16·10^14 Hz. When the same light from hydrogen atoms in a distant galaxy is observed on earth, the frequency is 5.16·10^14 Hz. Calculate the speed at which the galaxy is receding from the Earth (in units of the speed of light, c).

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to muck around with the formula for (special, I assume with the information given) relativistic Doppler shift

[tex]z+1 = \sqrt{\frac{1 + \frac{v}{c}}{1- \frac{v}{c}}}[/tex]

Where

[tex]z+1 = \frac{\lambda'}{\lambda}[/tex]

Thanks for the reply

Err.. are both velocities in the doppler shift equation equivalent or are they different? IE. would one of the velocities be zero because the receiving planet does not move?

There both the same.

I calculated lambda prime/lambda to be 1.1938. How am I to solve with two of the same variable :eek:

No matter what equation I use, it seems I keep getting an answer of 5.79*10^7.. which is pretty unrealistic seeming (and also incorrect).

Last edited:
I've got the same.

Just plug z + 1 = 1.1938 into the equation (as we want v as a fraction of c anyway we can say v = v/c):

[tex](z+1)^2 = \frac{1 + v}{1-v}[/tex]

Now it's simple algerbra to re-argange it to find v

edited to add: here's a clue: a good approximation for v at non-relativistic speeds is cz, which in this case is about 0.19c, so that's the kind of figure you should be looking for (though not that exact figure as the speed is close enough to relativistic to effect the answer).

Last edited:
Yea, I got that far.. it seems I'm having a brainfart with the 'simple algebra'.

EDIT: working on it with your hint
EDIT2: bleh. something's just not clicking.
5.79*10^7 is pretty close to .19c, is that telling me anything?

Last edited:
Okay :

If we re-arrange the equation in my last post we get:

[tex](z +1)^2(1-v) = 1 + v[/tex]

mutiply out:

[tex](z+1)^2 - v(z+1)^2 = 1 + v[/tex]

Add v(z+1)2 - 1 to both sides:

[tex](z+1)^2 -1 = v + v(z +1)^2[/tex]

divide both sides by v:

[tex]\frac{(z+1)^2 - 1}{v} = (z+1)^2 + 1[/tex]

Now just re-arrange that to get v:

[tex]v = \frac{(z+1)^2 -1}{(z+1)^2 + 1}[/tex]

jcsd you just saved my ass. It was kind of you to help so much.

Thank you very, very much!

The answer you should get is about 0.17c which as you can see is pretty close to the value of 0.19c (which was obtained without the relativistic correction), though as v approaches c this approximation gets less and less accurate.

Related to How Fast is a Galaxy Receding When Hydrogen Light Frequency Changes?

1. What is a Perturbed Hydrogen Atom?

A Perturbed Hydrogen Atom is a hydrogen atom that has been influenced or disturbed by an external force or field, resulting in changes to its energy levels and electron movement.

2. How is a Perturbed Hydrogen Atom created?

A Perturbed Hydrogen Atom can be created in a laboratory setting by introducing an external force or field, such as an electric or magnetic field, to a hydrogen atom. It can also occur naturally in environments with high levels of radiation or other external influences.

3. What are the effects of perturbation on a hydrogen atom?

The effects of perturbation on a hydrogen atom can include changes to its energy levels, electron movement, and spectral lines. These changes can also result in the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation at different frequencies.

4. How is the behavior of a Perturbed Hydrogen Atom studied?

The behavior of a Perturbed Hydrogen Atom can be studied through various methods such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the emitted or absorbed electromagnetic radiation, and quantum mechanics, which uses mathematical models to understand the changes in energy levels and electron movement.

5. What are the practical applications of studying Perturbed Hydrogen Atoms?

Studying Perturbed Hydrogen Atoms can have various practical applications, such as understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, improving our understanding of quantum mechanics and atomic structure, and developing new technologies such as lasers and medical imaging devices.