How good is a fit for a set of points?

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to measure the deviation of a set of points from a polynomial fit of second degree. They have already calculated the equilibrium points for different values of a and plotted them on a graph, and now want to determine how well these points fit the curve. Their idea is to calculate the sum-squared-errors and average it to account for different numbers of points. They also mention the possibility of weighting the errors based on different dimensions or areas of the graph. They apologize for their English and seek any other suggestions for this measurement.
Uriel
Hello, I have the following problem.

I have a system of differential equations, with two parameters that satisfy certain condition.

0 < 1.5(1-a) < b < 1.

So when I fix the value of a I can find values of b satisfying this and its associated equilibrium point.

When I calculate (with computer) the equilibrium points for this values and plot them I obtain the following:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38427886/plot.png

And when I plot them on the same graph I have

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38427886/plots.png

As you can see, they seem to be on the same curve, so I made a polynomial fit of second degree. Now, from the fact that all the points for different a, seem to have the same behavior I would like to know how they deviate from the fit that I made to the last set (because it has more points to work with).

Here's where I'm stuck, because I don't know exactly what can I do.

The only idea that I have is to take the distance for every point to the curve, then square that, sum all the distances and finally divide for the number of points.

The think is, I want to know if anyone knows an intelligent way to know how well my discrete set of points adjust to a given curve.

P.S. (I know my English is terrible, I apologize)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea of the sum-squared-errors is fairly well known and accepted. And I think that averaging it to account for different numbers of points is a good one. Sometimes it is more important to be close in one dimension than in the other, so the errors on the two coordinates are weighted appropriately. Or you may have a reason to give different weights to different areas of the X-Y plane. That all depends on your application and you should be judicious and be ready to explain your reasons for the weights.

Related to How good is a fit for a set of points?

1. How do you determine the goodness of fit for a set of points?

The goodness of fit for a set of points is typically determined by calculating the coefficient of determination (R-squared value). This value ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 indicating a perfect fit and 0 indicating no relationship between the points.

2. What is the significance of the R-squared value in determining the goodness of fit?

The R-squared value represents the proportion of the variation in the data that is explained by the regression model. A higher R-squared value indicates a better fit for the set of points, as it suggests that more of the data points fall closer to the regression line.

3. Can you have a high R-squared value but still have a poor fit for the points?

Yes, it is possible to have a high R-squared value but still have a poor fit for the points. This can occur if the regression model is overfitting the data, meaning it is too complex for the given set of points and may not accurately predict future data points.

4. How does the number of data points affect the determination of the goodness of fit?

The number of data points can have a significant impact on the determination of the goodness of fit. Generally, the more data points available, the more reliable the R-squared value will be in determining the fit for the set of points.

5. Are there any other methods for evaluating the goodness of fit besides the R-squared value?

Yes, there are other methods for evaluating the goodness of fit, such as the root mean squared error (RMSE) and the adjusted R-squared value. These methods take into account the complexity of the regression model and can provide a more accurate measure of the fit for the set of points.