1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How good is the sinusoidal fit?

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    First off, this is NOT a homework question! That is, I'm not doing this for any course. So then, here's the question:

I have some data points to which I fit a sinusoidal curve. I get the best (min) chi-square. Now, the question becomes how good a fit is my sinusoid? I was thinking that I could compare my sinusoid with a flat line and see which is a better fit to the data points. How would people suggest I go about doing this? One person suggested a sum of squares, but could not provide me with more than that (he does not remember much except that it "generally works"). I was hoping someone could provide me with much more details (a reference to look up, some examples perhaps?) I know Wikipedia has tons of pages on sum of squares, but I'm not sure which page to go to. Also, if people have other ideas other than sum of squares I am certainly open to it. I know there is something called an F-test, but I don't know how appropriate that would be here? Anyway, I'm hoping for help! Thanks, and yes my statistics is extremely rusty...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the response, but that's not what I'm looking for here. I have a few options I'm playing with, but I would still be interested in understanding the F-test if someone can explain how it can be applied to what I described above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook