How good is the sinusoidal fit?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to determine the fit of a sinusoidal curve to a set of data points. They mention considering comparing the curve to a flat line and using the sum of squares or an F-test. They are hoping for more specific details and examples on these methods. The chi-squared statistic is mentioned as a measure of goodness of fit, but the individual is looking for other options.
astropi
First off, this is NOT a homework question! That is, I'm not doing this for any course. So then, here's the question:

I have some data points to which I fit a sinusoidal curve. I get the best (min) chi-square. Now, the question becomes how good a fit is my sinusoid? I was thinking that I could compare my sinusoid with a flat line and see which is a better fit to the data points. How would people suggest I go about doing this? One person suggested a sum of squares, but could not provide me with more than that (he does not remember much except that it "generally works"). I was hoping someone could provide me with much more details (a reference to look up, some examples perhaps?) I know Wikipedia has tons of pages on sum of squares, but I'm not sure which page to go to. Also, if people have other ideas other than sum of squares I am certainly open to it. I know there is something called an F-test, but I don't know how appropriate that would be here? Anyway, I'm hoping for help! Thanks, and yes my statistics is extremely rusty...

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
The chi-squared statistic is actually the measure of how good the curve fits the data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodness_of_fit

Thanks for the response, but that's not what I'm looking for here. I have a few options I'm playing with, but I would still be interested in understanding the F-test if someone can explain how it can be applied to what I described above.

1. How do I determine the goodness of fit for a sinusoidal model?

The most commonly used method to determine the goodness of fit for a sinusoidal model is by calculating the coefficient of determination (R2). This value ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 indicating a perfect fit.

2. What is the significance of the p-value in a sinusoidal fit?

The p-value in a sinusoidal fit indicates the probability of obtaining a result as extreme as the observed data, assuming the null hypothesis that the model does not fit the data. A p-value less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant, meaning that the model provides a good fit for the data.

3. Can a sinusoidal model have a negative R2 value?

No, a negative R2 value is not possible for a sinusoidal fit. This is because the coefficient of determination is a measure of the proportion of variation in the data that is explained by the model, and it cannot be negative.

4. How can I improve the goodness of fit for a sinusoidal model?

To improve the goodness of fit for a sinusoidal model, you can try adjusting the model parameters or adding more data points. It is also important to select an appropriate model that is suitable for the specific data being analyzed.

5. Are there any limitations to using a sinusoidal fit?

Yes, there are limitations to using a sinusoidal fit. This model may not be suitable for all types of data, and it may not accurately represent the underlying process or trends in the data. It is important to carefully consider the data and the assumptions of the model before using a sinusoidal fit.