How Governor HVG (High Value Gate) block function

In summary: Pc2sTv- ... re=relatedIn summary, Lao, you are researching about Speed Governor control system of a Hydro Power plant in your country. Unfortunately, the company who owns the hydro power plant has lost some of the papers of the system. For the research, you have found a problem with how HVG (High Value Gate) block function. However, some paper is 110% which is a high limit on integration.
latsany
Hi,

I am a student at University of Lao, Faculty of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Department
I am researching about Speed Governor control system of a Hydro Power plant in my country
and unfortunately, the company who owner of hydro power plant they have lost some of them
papers of the system so, for the research I have found a problem with how HVG (High Value Gate) block functional or duty, I don't understand about two signal that is input of the block, input one come form PID controller and other just form a block that it is signed -0.1%
but some paper is 110% (Sorry that I can not attachment the document on this even I try because I am a new user then I will post the schematic diagram of the system later) So, pleased give me some explanation what is it ? and how it
functional as well as LVG (Low Value gate), if possible you
I am looking forward to seeing your help

Latsany

Engineering news on Phys.org
No answers yet ? Here's a pure guess.

Would it make sense if they were limits on a signal ?

Integral controllers sometimes halt the integration process when it reaches a high or low value beyond which it doesn't make any sense to progress. If it is a digital controller, integration can proceed to near infinity.
An analog controller can only integrate to whatever is its supply voltage (or pressure if it's pneumatic) . The integration beyond common sense is called "integral windup" . Both analog and digital types should employ anti-windup .
See if your manuals contain either phrase.110% would be a reasonable high limit on integration.

-0.1% could also be a limit on an incoming process signal to handle power fail. A 1 to 5 volt signal that loses power will go to zero volts which is -25% . Somebody might have placed a low limit to protect a software program or to keep a contoller from following a dead signal.

But I'm Just guessing.

Lao, you said ? May I guess English is not your first language? Yours is good, though. Technical manuals are tough enough in one's own language. I respect your tenacity.

Good luck -

old jim

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much for your sharing an idea then I will try to find more but I still need and looking for your help again, Please send me more if you have some else to advise

Hvg

Dear, Sir

For the discussion about HVG (High Value Gate), even it doesn't have answer yet, I think it's better if you could give me some website or some document that concern to the system

Hmmmm

"High Value Gate" appears to be a name often used to describe a control system element ; I'm finding it in a lot of patents and descriptions of voltage regulators when i search with Google..

It selects from among several inputs the highest valued one and passes it along to the next element in the system. I should've guessed that from its name. Where i worked we'd call it an auctioneer.

See if this is any help, page 6 of the pdf:
http://www.ee.siue.edu/~smuren/ECE 545 Notes/Ch 9 - Supplemental Controls.pdf

Now - every manufacturer, and in fact every textbook author, will have his own vocabulary but the concepts are pretty universal.

I have found a problem with how HVG (High Value Gate) block functional or duty, I don't understand about two signal that is input of the block, input one come form PID controller and other just form a block that it is signed -0.1%
but some paper is 110%

An integrating controller that doesn't have anti-windup as i said above can integrate beyond any reasonable value.
This will happen if it is unable to restore the balance at its inputs.
So it would be reasonable to send its output to a high value selector before passing it along. That way if the controller integrates below zero , the next element in the control scheme will see a small negative value (-0.1%) instead of a large one. That'd keep a valve controller from trying to find a position like 200% closed, for example.
That is one way to achieve "anti=windup", though not the best way.
Same could be done to prevent against integration above full scale by using a low value selector. It would not pass a signal larger than some value, and 110% isn't unreasonable.

Those are guesses - but they convey the concept. Again you'll find various sources call it by different names .

You may find this ISA document helpful for studying older US made control systems:
https://instrumentacionhuertas.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/s_51.pdf
Your gates are i believe #13 and 14 in table 23, which starts at page 23 of the pdf.
ISA were pioneers in standardizing control symbols and terminology. ANSI does most of that now.Now - can you post a make and model number for this governor? A lot of old manuals are online.
Is it a Woodward ? http://www.rockfordreminisce.com/Woodward_Governor_Company.html

Last edited:
ps you might want to join this organization. They have lots of training and publications available. Their annual field engineers' meeting is worthwhile.

https://www.isa.org/

Hi,

Thank you very much for your patent to finding the information for me and it is really helpful
- For the system the former is " HITACHI" but now it is modified by "Moog" and other that I'm not sure
what else
- I try to post the document but it is error while upload
if possible you, can I have your Email for sending it or other way that suitable

Thank you very much for your patient to finding the information and it is very highly for me (So sorry with a mistake spelling)

Hvg

http://https://www.mediafire.com/?nle6pinjdked8wo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Good morning sir, I just have sent a document to you it's governor scheme (page4)

Latsany - is this old thread of any help?

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=682818

There are some people here with hydro plant knowledge who might help with your control drawing investigation if you'd post a link to it.

old jim

Thank you very much, Sir

1. How does the Governor HVG block function work?

The Governor HVG block function is a mechanism used to regulate the flow of data or resources within a system. It acts as a gatekeeper, controlling the access and allocation of resources based on predetermined rules and parameters.

2. What is the purpose of using a Governor HVG block function?

The Governor HVG block function is used to prevent overloading and bottlenecking in a system by limiting the amount of data or resources that can pass through at a given time. This helps to maintain stability and optimize performance.

3. How is the Governor HVG block function different from a regular gatekeeper or firewall?

While a regular gatekeeper or firewall may simply allow or deny access to resources, the Governor HVG block function operates on a more dynamic level by adjusting the flow of resources based on real-time data and conditions. This allows for more efficient allocation and utilization of resources.

4. Can the Governor HVG block function be customized for different systems?

Yes, the Governor HVG block function can be configured and customized to suit the specific needs and characteristics of different systems. This allows for greater flexibility and adaptability in regulating the flow of data and resources.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using the Governor HVG block function?

One potential drawback of using the Governor HVG block function is that it may introduce additional latency or delays in the system, particularly if the rules and parameters are too strict. It is important to carefully balance and monitor the function to avoid hindering overall performance.