How Hamilton's equations extremize the action

• Thread starter pellman
  • Start date
In summary, Hamiltonian mechanics is often introduced through the action S=\int{L dt} and the corresponding Euler-Lagrange equations. However, it is also possible to start with the Hamiltonian and translate the Euler-Lagrange equations into Hamilton's equations. This can be done by performing an independent variation of coordinates and momenta on the action with \delta q = 0 at the end points. This approach may be useful for solving relativistic problems where time becomes a coordinate.
pellman
A common exposition of Hamiltonian mechanics (e.g., Goldstein's Classical Mechanics) is to start with the action

[tex]S=\int{L dt }[/tex]

then show that the Euler-Lagrange equations extremize the action, then define the hamiltonian in terms of the lagrangian, then translate the Euler-Lagrange equations into the equivalent Hamilton equations.

But what does it look like using the Hamiltonian from the beginning?

[tex]S=\int{(\sum{p_j dq_j}-H(p_i,q_i)dt)}[/tex]

And do we have to rewrite it as

[tex]S=\int{(\sum{p_j \frac{dq_j}{dt}}-H(p_i,q_i))dt}[/tex]

to accomplish it? I am eventually going to be relating it to some relativistic problems in which t becomes a coordinate.

Any info and/or link is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just perform an independent variation of coordinates and momenta on the action as you have written it, with [itex] \delta q = 0 [/itex] at the end points, and equate the first order change to zero. It will lead you to Hamilton's equations.

Thanks.

1. What are Hamilton's equations?

Hamilton's equations are a set of differential equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. They are derived from the principle of stationary action, which states that the path a system takes between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action.

2. How do Hamilton's equations relate to the principle of stationary action?

Hamilton's equations are derived from the principle of stationary action, which states that the path a system takes between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action. This means that the equations describe the equations of motion for a system that is in a state of least action, or equilibrium.

3. What is the significance of extremizing the action in Hamilton's equations?

The significance of extremizing the action in Hamilton's equations is that it allows us to determine the path a system will take between two points in time. By finding the path of least action, we can accurately predict the motion of a system and understand its behavior.

4. How are Hamilton's equations used in classical mechanics?

Hamilton's equations are used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. They are especially useful in systems with multiple degrees of freedom, as they allow us to solve for the equations of motion in a more efficient and accurate manner.

5. Can Hamilton's equations be applied to all systems?

Hamilton's equations can be applied to most classical mechanical systems, including those with multiple degrees of freedom. However, they are not applicable to systems that involve quantum mechanics or relativistic effects.