Mechanics: Is it Possible to Make a B/A w/o Experience?

In summary, the speaker is considering taking a difficult mechanics course in their second year after completing physics II, but their advisor has advised against it due to lack of experience. However, the next course will not be available until the fall, causing the speaker to potentially fall behind. They are seeking feedback on the difficulty of the course and if it is possible to still achieve a good grade without prior experience.
jtpope2
I'm considering taking mechanics (lagrange/hamilton etc.) my second year coming out of physics II (electromagnetism), but I've heard it's a very difficult course. In fact my advisor advised against me taking it since i have the prerequesites but not the "experience". The problem is the usual next course isn't until the fall, so if i don't take mechanics I'll be behind a sesmester or two. I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have taken the course on just how hard it really is, or if it's hyped up a little. Is it possible for me to make a B/A coming out of physics II?

Physics news on Phys.org
jtpope2 said:
I'm considering taking mechanics (lagrange/hamilton etc.) my second year coming out of physics II (electromagnetism), but I've heard it's a very difficult course. In fact my advisor advised against me taking it since i have the prerequesites but not the "experience". The problem is the usual next course isn't until the fall, so if i don't take mechanics I'll be behind a sesmester or two. I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have taken the course on just how hard it really is, or if it's hyped up a little. Is it possible for me to make a B/A coming out of physics II?

get some experience first.

1. Can someone with no experience in mechanics make a B/A?

It is possible for someone with no experience in mechanics to make a B/A, but it may require a significant amount of time and effort to learn the necessary skills and techniques.

2. What are the essential skills needed to make a B/A without experience in mechanics?

Some essential skills for making a B/A without experience in mechanics include a strong understanding of basic physics principles, problem-solving skills, and the ability to follow instructions and diagrams accurately.

3. How long does it take to learn enough about mechanics to make a B/A without experience?

The amount of time it takes to learn enough about mechanics to make a B/A without experience can vary depending on the individual's learning abilities and dedication. It could take several months to a year to develop the necessary skills and knowledge.

4. Are there any resources available to help someone with no experience in mechanics make a B/A?

Yes, there are many resources available to help someone with no experience in mechanics make a B/A. These include online tutorials, instructional books, and workshops or classes offered by community colleges or trade schools.

5. Is it possible to make a B/A without experience in mechanics and still have it be safe and functional?

Yes, it is possible to make a B/A without experience in mechanics and still have it be safe and functional. However, it is important to thoroughly research and follow proper safety protocols and guidelines to ensure the final product is safe to use.