How is Greenwood's Classical Dynamics?

In summary, the speaker's friend recommended a book called Goldstein for learning mechanics, but the speaker does not have enough time to read it. However, there are other books available that may be better suited for the speaker's purpose, such as the one by John Taylor, which is larger but has received positive reviews. The speaker is advised to stop by the library and preview a few books before making a decision, keeping in mind that a shorter book may not be the most comprehensive.
yicong2011
My friend recommend this book to me.

Actually, I don't have enough time to read Goldstein. But this is book is not so thicker as Goldstein's.

May I use this book as a substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
yicong, There are several valid reasons I can think of that Goldstein might not be the best mechanics book for you, but "don't have time to read it" is not one of them. You don't say what your purpose is, whether you're taking a mechanics course, preparing for an exam, or something else. There are many good books out there. Despite any recommendations, you should stop at the library and glance through a few of them yourself. Bearing in mind that you don't have to completely digest every chapter. Classical mechanics is a large subject, and your choice should partly depend on what you want to emphasize.

The shortest treatment is rarely the clearest. Most complaints I've heard go the other way, that things were glossed over, not explained, not enough detail provided. Take a look at the book by John Taylor. It's large, larger than Goldstein, but has received favorable comments.

1. How is Greenwood's Classical Dynamics different from other theories of classical mechanics?

Greenwood's Classical Dynamics is unique in its approach to explaining the behavior of particles and systems in motion. Unlike other theories, it uses a combination of analytical and computational methods to solve problems and analyze systems. It also places a strong emphasis on understanding the underlying physical principles behind the equations, rather than just using mathematical techniques.

2. Can Greenwood's Classical Dynamics be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, Greenwood's Classical Dynamics is a general theory that can be applied to a wide range of systems, from simple particles to complex systems with many interacting particles. It has been successfully used to explain the behavior of systems in various fields such as mechanics, astrophysics, and fluid dynamics.

3. How does Greenwood's Classical Dynamics account for non-conservative forces?

Greenwood's Classical Dynamics accounts for non-conservative forces by using the principle of virtual work. This principle states that the total work done on a system by all forces is equal to the change in the system's kinetic energy. By considering both conservative and non-conservative forces, the theory provides a more complete understanding of the dynamics of a system.

4. Is Greenwood's Classical Dynamics still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Greenwood's Classical Dynamics is still a widely used and relevant theory in modern physics. It forms the foundation of many other theories, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, and is still used to solve problems and analyze systems in various fields of physics.

5. Are there any limitations to Greenwood's Classical Dynamics?

Like any scientific theory, Greenwood's Classical Dynamics has its limitations. It is most accurate for systems in which the particles are small and the forces involved are strong. It also does not take into account quantum effects, which are important for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.