How is science structured in anglophone countries?

• Thread starter Theoretiker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Science News for KidsIn summary, the conversation discusses the need for English material for a website related to a diploma course in physics and mathematics. The user asks for help in finding a structured linklist to English material and for advice on good Anglophone sites for current research and articles in physics. Suggestions are made for MIT's free online courses, Arxiv, American Physical Society, and various other websites for physics news and research. The conversation also briefly touches on the categorization of physics on Arxiv and the user's lack of experience in navigating the English web.
Theoretiker
Hi,

i have a problem and it would be nice, if you could help me. :redface: :smile:
As you know, I am creating an accompanying homepage for the diploma course in physics and mathematics. Among other things, I want a huge structured linklist to english material. (lecture notes etc.) I know how the structure is in Germany, but now googel proofed me, that in english material it must have another structure and other names for the parts of study, than in Germany. So this is are the questions:

1.) How is the study in physics and math structured in english material? How is it termed? I translated the terms I know and didn't find much, so it must be termed different in english.

2.) Do you know advisable links to lecture notes and material in english?

Thank you :)
greetings

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try MIT's free courses online:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

lisab said:
Try MIT's free courses online:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Thank you. That looks really good. I will chekt it :smile:

I have got a second question:

Which are good anglophone sites in the web for current research and articles in physics? Something like http://www.dpg-physik.de/index.html" , just in english :smile:

thanks

greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:

Actually, that isn't a valid "categorization" of physics. It is simply the way ArXiv arranges the categories. This is because it is missing the largest section of physics - condensed matter/material science.

I would recommend looking at the American Physical Society webpage and look at all the division under the APS. Or simply look at the various section in Phys. Rev. Lett. Even Europeans publish in such journals, so it isn't something only relevant to "anglophones".

{anyone else find this rather strange?}

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I would recommend looking at the American Physical Society webpage and look at all the division under the APS.

thx. I will search after this Keywords

ZapperZ said:
Or simply look at the various section in Phys. Rev. Lett. Even Europeans publish in such journals, so it isn't something only relevant to "anglophones".

I know al lot of journals and Newsletters but they are all from Germany and in German of course.

This here, my joining in this forum and my first search after material are the first steps in the english web I ever made. So I don't know them. Everything I know is from Germany and I want build my website in english ;)
I am open for new, but it is difficult.

ZapperZ said:

Why do you think it is strange?

greetings

ZapperZ said:
Actually, that isn't a valid "categorization" of physics. It is simply the way ArXiv arranges the categories. This is because it is missing the largest section of physics - condensed matter/material science.

I would recommend looking at the American Physical Society webpage and look at all the division under the APS. Or simply look at the various section in Phys. Rev. Lett. Even Europeans publish in such journals, so it isn't something only relevant to "anglophones".

Zz.

I have never this page before, and first it seemed very puzzling, but looking at the arXiv main page

http://arxiv.org/

clears up the mystery.

On the main page, "Physics" is a catch-all category for all the stuff that doesn't fall under one of the main categories. The page in this tread is the subdivision of this catch-all "Physics" category.

Still somewhat arbitrary, but also somewhat understandable.

Now, I have got enough links to english news :)
I found them by the help of a very competent user. Thanks again.

I will post it here, to complete the list.

American Physical Society

Science Daily

American Institute of Physics

Physics Today

NASA

Physics and Astronomy News

Physicsworld

PhysOrg

1. What is the role of government in funding scientific research in anglophone countries?

The government plays a significant role in funding scientific research in anglophone countries. In the United States, for example, the government provides funding through agencies like the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health. These agencies support various research projects and provide grants to scientists and institutions.

2. How are scientific discoveries and breakthroughs disseminated in anglophone countries?

In anglophone countries, scientific discoveries and breakthroughs are typically disseminated through peer-reviewed journals. These journals undergo a rigorous review process by experts in the field to ensure the quality and accuracy of the research. Additionally, conferences and presentations also serve as platforms for scientists to share their findings and collaborate with others.

3. What is the structure of scientific education in anglophone countries?

The structure of scientific education varies among anglophone countries, but it generally follows a similar path. Students can pursue a Bachelor's degree in a specific scientific field, followed by a Master's degree and a Ph.D. Many universities also offer postdoctoral research positions for further specialization and training.

4. How do scientific institutions and organizations operate in anglophone countries?

Scientific institutions and organizations in anglophone countries follow a hierarchical structure, with senior scientists leading research teams and junior researchers working under their supervision. These institutions also have administrative staff who handle funding, logistics, and other administrative tasks. Collaboration and networking among institutions are also common to advance scientific research.

5. What are the ethical considerations in scientific research in anglophone countries?

In anglophone countries, ethical considerations in scientific research are taken very seriously. Institutional review boards and ethics committees are responsible for ensuring that research involving human subjects follows ethical guidelines. Animal research is also closely monitored and regulated. Plagiarism and scientific misconduct are strictly prohibited and can result in severe consequences for researchers.