How Is the Spring Constant Calculated for a Bungee Jump?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the spring constant for a 700N bungee diver released from a 40m bridge attached to a bungee cord. The cord obeys Hooke's Law and the diver is expected to stop 4m above the surface. The conversation also discusses the conservation of energy in the analysis and concludes that the work done by the rope does not affect the potential spring energy of the rope. The calculated spring constant is 416N/m.
joex444
From a test I had:

A 700N bungee diver is released from a 40m bridge attached to a bungee cord which is 25m when unstretched. The cord obeys Hooke's Law. Find the spring constant of the cord if the diver is to stop 4m above the surface.

What I did was say that gravity pulls this diver down 36m, and W=Fd=700*36. Now, when the cord actually gets him stopped, all that energy is potential spring energy, and with the distance the cord is stretched from equilibrium being 11m, 1/2kx^2 = mgh is easy to find. I ended up with 416N/m. However, the only force acting on the diver is gravity from 0 to 25m. From 25 to 36m, though, the cord is acting. But, isn't the cord only acting to decrease the Ke gained during the 25m fall, and to also decrease the GPE the diver has as he continues to fall from 25 to 36m?? Or did I do this right and all the energy that the cord has at the bottom of the fall is solely due to gravity, thus, mgh?

Physics news on Phys.org
These are the proper guidelines to your analysis:

Consider some reference point in the y-axis, let the bridge at 40meters above the river equal to potential zero. Going down you will get negative gravitational potential.

Quickly find the total energy before he jumps (hint: potential only). Let this be time 0. Then start your real analysis when the diver reaches 25 meters below the bridge (what is his speed then?). Let this be time 1, then:

KE0 + PEgrav0 = KE1 + PEgrav1 + PErope1 = KE2 + PEgrav2 + PErope2

At time 2, is when the diver reaches the bottom (4 meters above surface), KE2 = 0. What are the values of the other terms in the conservation equation?

So, since total energy is conserved, would that just simplify to

PEgrav0 = PErope2 ?

I believe it would so long as it's not actually:

PEgrav0 + Wrope = PErope2

So...does the work do any rope that would make the potential spring energy of the rope GREATER than the potential energy of the diver 40m high on the bridge (though, since he will stop 4m above, it's 36m worth of PEgrav). If it doesn't, then it doesn't actually matter what is happening at 25m. Now, if the rope did work on the diver, then, it would be 1/2kx^2...and I would endup with mgh + 1/2kx^2 = 1/2kx^2 which means mgh=0 which isn't true.

If Wrope doesn't exist, or perhaps, equals 0, then 1/2kx^2 = mgh = 700*36. Hence, kx^2=50,400. x=36-25=11. Therefore, 50,400/11^2 = k = 416.5 N/m.

Ok, so I've done this problem several times and keep getting 416N/m. Since it's from a test and not HW, I don't know the answer. From the problem, is my work right, and thus the answer?

All these Forces are conservative (with a PE function).
Skipping over the intermediate points (at 25m, 26m, 27m...)
looks like mgh_top = ½ k x^2 to me. k = 416 N/m . Good job.

Related to How Is the Spring Constant Calculated for a Bungee Jump?

What is the definition of "Bungee Diver Spring Constant"?

The Bungee Diver Spring Constant is a measurement of the stiffness of the bungee cord used in a bungee jumping activity. It indicates how much force is required to stretch the bungee cord by a certain distance.

How is the "Bungee Diver Spring Constant" calculated?

The Bungee Diver Spring Constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to the bungee cord (in Newtons) by the distance the bungee cord is stretched (in meters). This calculation results in a unit of Newtons per meter (N/m).

What factors affect the "Bungee Diver Spring Constant"?

The Bungee Diver Spring Constant can be affected by the length and thickness of the bungee cord, the material it is made of, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. These factors can alter the elasticity and stiffness of the bungee cord, thus affecting the spring constant.

Why is the "Bungee Diver Spring Constant" important in bungee jumping?

The Bungee Diver Spring Constant is important in bungee jumping because it determines the amount of stretch and rebound of the bungee cord. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer bungee cord, which can result in a smoother and more controlled jump. A lower spring constant may result in a bouncier and less predictable jump.

How is the "Bungee Diver Spring Constant" used in other fields of science?

The Bungee Diver Spring Constant is used in various fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It can be applied to study the elasticity of materials, design springs and other mechanical systems, and understand the forces involved in human movement and sports activities.