Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is the universe expanding?

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    I was wondering because of my personal theories what others thought of the universe expantion.

please help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Cosmology is an entire field devoted to this and other related phenomena. Have you read up on the current standard model? If not I would hit up wikipedia or other online sites and grab a book on it from a local bookstore or from online.

But just about the expansion of space, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
  5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I've heard of this before, but I believe a rotating universe does not match observations. I'm not real sure about it.

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, if it were rotating, the effect would not produce identical results in all directions, thus violating isotropy, which is well established.

Wildwill, based on this and another post of yours I have to say that it seems that you are just throwing out random ideas with no basis in science. Please read up on real science ... there's a lot of fascinating stuff there and once you've got some basics under your belt you'll be able to ask more meaningful questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook