Simplifying Expressions: Understanding 1/4k

In summary, the expression (1/4)k equals (1/2)k times (1/2)k times (1/2), as shown in the given image. The (1/2) can be factored out because it appears in each term of the sum. However, the expression in the image has an additional factor of +1 in the denominator, which can also be factored out.
Shackleford
I'm not seeing how you get 1/4k = (1/2)k(1/2)k(1/2)

I understand why you can factor out the (1/2). It's in each term of the sum.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/Untitled-2.png?t=1297227186

I haven't really looked at this crap in four years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not what they have. Although you can factor out the 1/2 because of the "+1" in the denominator of the expression.

Pengwuino said:
That's not what they have. Although you can factor out the 1/2 because of the "+1" in the denominator of the expression.

Yeah, I got the +1 part. I feel silly for not immediately following their steps.

(22)k?

Last edited:

1. What does 1/4k mean in a simplified expression?

1/4k in a simplified expression means that the original expression was divided by 4 and then multiplied by k.

2. How do you simplify an expression with 1/4k?

To simplify an expression with 1/4k, you can first distribute the 1/4 to each term in the expression. Then, you can combine like terms if possible and factor out any common factors.

3. Can you simplify an expression with 1/4k further?

It depends on the specific expression. In most cases, you can simplify the expression further by factoring out common factors or using other algebraic techniques.

4. What are the common mistakes made when simplifying expressions with 1/4k?

One common mistake is forgetting to distribute the 1/4 to each term in the expression. Another mistake is incorrectly combining like terms or not factoring out common factors. It is important to carefully follow the steps for simplifying expressions to avoid making mistakes.

5. Why is it important to simplify expressions with 1/4k?

Simplifying expressions with 1/4k makes them easier to work with and understand. It also allows you to see any patterns or relationships between terms in the expression. Additionally, simplifying expressions is often necessary in order to solve equations or evaluate expressions.