How Is Work Calculated When a Block Is Pushed Up a Wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done by a constant force applied to a block that is pushed up a vertical wall with a given angle and distance. The coefficient of kinetic friction is also mentioned. The calculation for finding the work done is W=FD, and the first attempt at solving it is shown. However, it is noted that this calculation is incorrect and further clarification is requested. The final question asks for the net work done by all forces, which does not require a calculation.
Idividebyzero
1. A 2.79 kg block is pushed 1.48 m up a vertical
wall with constant speed by a constant force
of magnitude F applied at an angle of 60.8
with the horizontal.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .If the coefficient of kinetic friction between
the block and wall is 0.581, find the work done
by F

2W=FD

3. seems pretty straight foward but i guess I am missing something. first attempt was W= (m)(g)(D)

W= (2.79kg)(9.8m/s^2)(cos(90-60.8))(1.48)
W=35.3J
that answer seems reasonable, but is not correct. first question is only asking what the work done by F is disregarding the friction. next question is about the work done by friction.(

Physics news on Phys.org
Idividebyzero said:
first question is only asking what the work done by F is disregarding the friction.
I don't understand this comment. In any case, why not start by finding F? (Don't disregard friction!)

oh crud. i was getting this problem mixed up with another one no wonder the answer was wrong. it is asking for the net work

Last edited:
bump this is the last one giving me problems

Idividebyzero said:
it is asking for the net work
The net work done by all forces? No calculation needed for that.

Can you explain the calculation you did in the first post?

Related to How Is Work Calculated When a Block Is Pushed Up a Wall?

1. What is "Vertical Sliding mass-work"?

"Vertical Sliding mass-work" is a scientific concept that refers to the movement of a mass vertically along a surface, typically under the influence of gravity.

2. How is "Vertical Sliding mass-work" different from other types of motion?

Unlike other types of motion, such as horizontal or circular motion, "Vertical Sliding mass-work" is characterized by a single direction of movement along a vertical plane.

3. What factors affect the rate of "Vertical Sliding mass-work"?

The rate of "Vertical Sliding mass-work" is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the surface, and the force of gravity acting on the object.

4. What are some real-world examples of "Vertical Sliding mass-work"?

Examples of "Vertical Sliding mass-work" can be seen in objects sliding down a ramp, an elevator moving up or down a shaft, or a roller coaster going up a steep incline.

5. How is "Vertical Sliding mass-work" relevant to scientific research?

Understanding the principles of "Vertical Sliding mass-work" is crucial in many fields of science, from physics and mechanics to engineering and architecture. It can also help in designing and optimizing systems and structures that involve vertical movement.