How Long Does It Take a Package to Travel Through a Planet in a Gravity Tunnel?

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, a tunnel is bored through the center of a planet with a mass of 3.6 × 1024 kg and a radius of 7300 km. A package of mass 7.8 kg is dropped into the tunnel. If the tunnel is used for mail delivery, it will take an infinite amount of time for a letter to travel through the planet due to the object executing simple harmonic motion and never reaching the other side. The net gravitational force on a central sphere with mass 950 kg, formed by four spheres at the corners of a square with sides of 10 cm, can be found by converting the square into a diamond and separating the forces into components. The resulting net force will be another type of force commonly
chaotixmonjuish
A tunnel is bored through the center of a planet, as shown in the Figure (this drawing is NOT to scale and the size of the tunnel is extremely exaggerated). Assume that the planet is a homogenous sphere with a total mass M = 3.6 × 1024 kg and a radius R = 7300 km. A package of mass m = 7.8 kg is dropped into the tunnel. If the tunnel is used to deliver mail from one side of the planet to the other, how long would it take for a letter to travel through the planet?

I got the magnitude of gravitation as 23.1 Newtons, but I'm not sure what to do with it and how to use it to figured out how long it would take to travel through the planet.

My next question:
Four spheres form the corners of a square whose sides are 10 cm long. The masses of the spheres are m1 = 950 kg, m2 = 200 kg, m3 = 600 kg, and m4 = 950 kg. What is the magnitude of the net gravitational force from them on a central sphere with mass m5 = 950 kg?

img:http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/jtdla/prob10.gif

I tried using the pytagorean theorem to get a hypotenouse (5^2+5^2=radical(50)) and putting that in the denomentator of the various masses times 950. After summing them up I still didn't get the answer. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1.

Find the grav force at a dist r from the centre of the earth, where r<R of earth. It's not a constant force, as you have written. But you'll be surprised to see that it's another kind of force very common in Physics.

Q2: Start by turning the square into a diamond by rotating it so that the middle ball lies at the origin and te others lay on axis in an xy plane. Separate the forces into components and allow them to cancel where able. Then subtract the forces from each other until you are left with net gravitation.

Q1.
I think the mail will never reach the other side of the planet.
It executes SHM

the object moves with SHM, but energy is conserved. The object will reach the other side of the planet at the heigt it was dropped from at the exact moment its speed reaches zero. for more information look up Hooke's theory of gravity trains.

Related to How Long Does It Take a Package to Travel Through a Planet in a Gravity Tunnel?

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is responsible for holding planets in orbit around a star and objects on Earth from falling to the ground.

2. How does gravity affect objects with different masses?

Gravity affects objects with different masses equally. However, the more massive an object is, the greater the gravitational force it exerts on other objects.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass remains constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does distance affect gravitational force?

Gravitational force decreases as the distance between objects increases. This is described by the inverse-square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. Can gravitational force be shielded or blocked?

No, gravitational force cannot be shielded or blocked. It is a fundamental force of nature that acts on all objects with mass, regardless of any barriers or obstacles.