How long does it take the particle to hit the y-axis?

• Thread starter red_viper_88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the particle has a velocity of 19 ms-1 and a constant acceleration of 1.5 ms-2 when it hits the y-axis.
red_viper_88
1. When a particle is at the origin, it has a velocity given by vo = (12i + 15j)ms-1. It has a constant acceleration given by a = (-1.5i + 0.25j) ms-2.
(a) How long does it take the particle to hit the y-axis?
(b) At what point does it hit the y-axis?
(c) What is its velocity at the instant it hits the y-axis?

2. Not certain what to use or how to get started. I have never seen nor done a problem like this before. Please help.

3. Not certain what to use or how to get started. I have never seen nor done a problem like this before. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a projectile type question, written in vector form. Can you solve projectile questions? If so, then just start out as usual: draw a diagram, then write out the quantities you know in the vertical and horizontal directions, and what you want to find out. Then use an appropriate equation for kinematic motion to solve.

Show some work, and we can help you.

i'm still very xtremely confused, i honestly don't know how to start it at all

for the velocity it would be the square root of 15^2 + 12^2? which would be 19? and then for acceleration it would be the sqaure root of -1.5^2 + 0.25^2? which would be 1.5? am I completely off track?

so no way to help get me started?

You just split things up into x and y components. So, the particle is at x=0, with u_x=12, a_x=-1.5; and at y=0, with u_y=15, a_y=0.25.

What is the x coordinate of the particle when it hits the y axis? Can you construct an equation in terms of x coordinates which will allow you to obtain t?

I was actually about to ask the exact question. In this case, would it be sufficient to use only the x component for the acceleration and velocity, since in fact, the particle will hit the y-axis at x=o? I used the function x=x_0+v_xo t+1/2at^2. Then plugged my v_xo value(12ms^-1), my constant acceleration in the x direction(-1.5ms^-2). Then solved for t. Leaving me with t=0s(when the particle started at origin), and t=16s. Does this look about right?

Last edited:

Related to How long does it take the particle to hit the y-axis?

1. How is the time to hit the y-axis calculated?

The time to hit the y-axis is calculated using the formula t = y/v, where t is the time, y is the distance from the starting point to the y-axis, and v is the velocity of the particle.

2. Does the mass of the particle affect the time to hit the y-axis?

No, the mass of the particle does not affect the time to hit the y-axis. The time is only dependent on the distance and velocity of the particle.

3. Can the time to hit the y-axis be negative?

No, the time to hit the y-axis cannot be negative. It will always be a positive value since it represents the amount of time it takes for the particle to reach the y-axis.

4. How does the initial angle affect the time to hit the y-axis?

The initial angle of the particle does not affect the time to hit the y-axis. As long as the velocity and distance from the starting point to the y-axis remain the same, the time will be constant.

5. Is there any way to predict the exact time for the particle to hit the y-axis?

Yes, if the velocity and distance from the starting point to the y-axis are known, the time to hit the y-axis can be calculated using the formula t = y/v. However, factors such as air resistance and other external forces may affect the actual time of impact.