How long is the flea in the air for?

• Thread starter quicknote
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a flea jumping in free fall and trying to find its initial speed and time in the air. Several equations are suggested and the correct equation is determined. The conversation also touches on the issue of symmetry in the flea's motion and the use of gravity as the only force acting on the flea. The final solution for the initial speed is found using the equation v1^2 = vo^2 - 2g(delta_y).
quicknote
I'm having problems with this question. I know it should be simple, but I can't seem to get the right answer.

In this problem, you will use kinematic equations applied to a flea in free fall. Take the magnitude of free-fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

If a flea can jump straight up to a height of 0.550 m, what is its initial speed v_0 as it leaves the ground?
My answer was 3.28 m/s, which is correct.

How long is the flea in the air?
I don't know which equations to use.

to reach it's max height, I used: t=d/v and got 0.168s
to reach the ground, I used: y1 = -0.5gt^2 and got 0.335s
so the total time I calculate was 0.503s

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
quicknote said:
If a flea can jump straight up to a height of 0.550 m, what is its initial speed v_0 as it leaves the ground?
My answer was 3.28 m/s, which is correct.

Can somebody help me?

[itex]d=r \times t[/itex] only works for things that are moving at a constant speed.
There are a couple of ways to go about this:
For example, you could try using
[tex]0=v_0t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
for the entire jump.

P.S. Do you think it's odd that the flea took longer to fall than to rise?

quicknote said:

Can somebody help me?

Thanks
t=d/v holds only for constant velocity. From the moment the flea leaves the Earth there is only one force acting on it, which is gravitational. So the flea accelerates with g the whole time.
You did use the right equation when it was falling down: y=-1/2gt^2.
If you use symmetry, you know the flea takes as much time going up as it does falling down.

How did you get 3.28 m/s as the initial speed? I would assume you had to find the time until the greatest height in order to get that- if so, because of the symmetry, you only have to double that to find the total time in the air.

Or you could use h(t)= vt- 4.9t2= 0 when the flea is back on the ground, using the value you got for v, and solve for t.

Your "t=d/v and got 0.168s" is wrong because that only works for constant velocity.

Since the velocity at the top of the jump is 0, "y1 = -0.5gt^2 " does work for the time back to floor. It should be clear that, ignoring air resistance (which for a flea is not very realistic) the time from the floor to the top of the jump is exactly the same as the time from the top of the jump back to the floor.

Thank you all very much for the help...and quick replys!
I am glad that I found this board.

How did you get 3.28 m/s as the initial speed?

I used the equation: v1^2 = vo^2 - 2g(delta_y)

1. How long does a flea stay in the air?

The length of time a flea stays in the air depends on a variety of factors, such as the height from which it jumps and the strength of its legs. On average, a flea can stay in the air for about 0.2 seconds.

2. Can fleas fly?

No, fleas cannot fly in the traditional sense. They do not have wings and are not capable of sustained flight. However, they are excellent jumpers and can propel themselves through the air with their powerful legs.

3. What causes a flea to jump?

Fleas have specialized legs that are designed for jumping. They have strong muscles that allow them to quickly extend their legs and launch themselves into the air. The trigger for jumping is usually a sensory response to heat or vibrations, which they use to locate potential hosts.

4. How high can fleas jump?

Fleas are known to be excellent jumpers and can reach heights of up to 7 inches vertically and 13 inches horizontally. This is equivalent to a human jumping over a 30-story building!

5. Can fleas jump from one host to another?

Yes, fleas are capable of jumping from one host to another. They often do this when their initial host becomes too crowded or uncomfortable. This is one way that fleas can spread diseases and parasites between different animals and even humans.