How Many Family Members Do You Have? Researching Your Family Tree

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of family and genealogy. The speaker mentioned having a large family with 7 brothers and a sister, but not being close with them. They also mentioned having numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins they have never met. The speaker's father's side of the family is heavily involved in genealogy, tracing their family back to the 12th century, but the speaker is skeptical of the accuracy of the information.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you have still alive , have you researched your family tree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say how many family members I have who are alive. Both my mom and dad came from large family, and I have 7 brothers and a sister. We aren't very close (emotionally or geographically). I have loads and loads of nieces, nephews, and cousins I've never met.

But my dad was raised Mormon (it didn't "take" in him :biggrin:), so his side of the family is really into genealogy. They have the family traced back hundreds of years, to the 12th century! But I don't know how reliable the information is. (In fact I strongly suspect it's bogus but so it goes.)

1. How do I begin researching my family tree?

The first step in researching your family tree is to gather as much information as you can from living relatives. Record names, birth dates, and any other relevant information. You can also use online databases and genealogy websites to search for your ancestors.

2. How can I find out how many family members I have?

The most accurate way to find out how many family members you have is to research your family tree. You can use census records, birth and death certificates, and other historical documents to trace your family lineage and determine the number of relatives.

3. Are there any DNA tests that can help me determine my family members?

Yes, there are DNA tests available that can help you determine your family members. These tests can provide information about your genetic ancestry and potential relatives. However, they should be used in conjunction with traditional genealogical research for the most accurate results.

4. How far back can I trace my family tree?

The length of time you can trace your family tree will depend on the availability of records and the accuracy of the information you have gathered. Some people can trace their family tree back several hundred years, while others may hit roadblocks after a few generations.

5. Is it possible to discover unknown family members through genealogy research?

Yes, it is possible to discover unknown family members through genealogy research. With the availability of online databases and DNA testing, it is becoming more common for people to uncover relatives they were previously unaware of. However, it is important to approach these discoveries with caution and respect for the privacy of others.