How many ping pong balls can fit in a typical-sized room without being crushed?

• Thread starter astrostar2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the challenge is to estimate how many 4 cm spheres can fit into a room with dimensions of 17ft x 17ft x 7ft without being crushed, using either a cube packing or spherical packing method.
astrostar2

Homework Statement

Estimate the number of ping pong balls (of radius 2cm) that would fit into a typical-sized room (without being crushed). A typical room is 17ft x 17ft x 7ft.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a couple things:
1. After converting all dimensions to cm, I tried to see how many cubes of edge length 4cm would fit in the room.
2. I used a "spherical packing" method where I found the total volume of the room and multiplied it by .70.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What were the results of what you have tried?

4 cm spheres can be packed closer together than 4 cm cubes. You'll need to figure out a pattern for the packing.

1. What is ping pong ball packing?

Ping pong ball packing is the process of arranging ping pong balls in a container in an efficient and organized manner. This is often done for shipping or storage purposes.

2. How do you pack ping pong balls?

To pack ping pong balls, start by placing a layer of balls on the bottom of the container. Then, add another layer of balls, but rotate them so that the gaps between the balls in the bottom layer are filled. Continue this pattern until the container is filled.

3. How many ping pong balls can fit in a container?

The number of ping pong balls that can fit in a container depends on the size of the container and the size of the balls. However, on average, a 5 gallon container can hold approximately 1,500 ping pong balls.

4. Why is efficient ping pong ball packing important?

Efficient ping pong ball packing is important because it allows for more balls to be packed in a smaller space, which can save money on shipping and storage costs. It also helps to protect the balls from damage during transportation.

5. What are some tips for successful ping pong ball packing?

Some tips for successful ping pong ball packing include using a container with straight sides, rotating the balls as they are packed, and using a layer of cushioning material at the top of the container to protect the balls. It is also important to ensure that the balls are evenly distributed and not too tightly packed, as this can cause damage to the balls.