How many ping pong balls can fit in a typical-sized room without being crushed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter astrostar2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
astrostar2
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Estimate the number of ping pong balls (of radius 2cm) that would fit into a typical-sized room (without being crushed). A typical room is 17ft x 17ft x 7ft.


Homework Equations


none


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried a couple things:
1. After converting all dimensions to cm, I tried to see how many cubes of edge length 4cm would fit in the room.
2. I used a "spherical packing" method where I found the total volume of the room and multiplied it by .70.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
4 cm spheres can be packed closer together than 4 cm cubes. You'll need to figure out a pattern for the packing.