How many Tangent lines go to a certain point.

In summary, the homework statement asks for how many tangent lines to the curve y = x / (x + 1) pass through the point (1,2). At which points do these tangent lines touch the curve? The equation of the tangent line(s) is y=m(x-1)+2 and the equation of the curve y=\frac{x}{x+1}, and the line touches the curve at the point (1,2). To find the point where they touch, find the slope of the line and replace m with the derivative.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

How many tangent lines to the curve y = x / (x + 1) pass through the point (1,2)? At which points do these tangent lines touch the curve?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely drawing a blank on this one. Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's first simply imagine a tangent line to the curve passing through the point (1,2).
What would the equation of this tangent be?

Well we know a point, and we don't know what the gradient is but we do know it is tangent to the curve so this would point towards the derivative equation, yes?

So we have, [tex]y-2=m(x-1)[/tex] where [tex]m=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x}{x+1}\right)[/tex]

And this line equation touches the curve, so what can we do here?

Mentallic said:
So we have, [tex]y-2=m(x-1)[/tex] where [tex]m=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x}{x+1}\right)[/tex]

And this line equation touches the curve, so what can we do here?

Find the slope of the line, and then follow it outward to see at what other points it would touch the graph?

Hypnos_16 said:
Find the slope of the line, and then follow it outward to see at what other points it would touch the graph?

Trial and error is one way, but a very bad way. Let's do this more rigorously :smile:

You already have the equation of the tangent line(s), [tex]y=m(x-1)+2[/tex] and the equation of the curve [tex]y=\frac{x}{x+1}[/tex], and we know that the line touches the curve. How can we find the point where they touch by mathematical means?

If you can't quite figure it out, it's probably that you're just being overwhelmed by the problem at hand. As a simpler example, it's equivalent to finding the points of intersection between the equations [tex]y=x+1[/tex] and [tex]y=2x[/tex]

you could make them equal one another. Since they both have y = (something) then solve for the variable. Or that's what i'd try in your example there. But i don't know how to ramp that up to make it work on a bigger scale, like the example i have.

That's it.

So we just have to solve [tex]m(x-1)+2=\frac{x}{x+1}[/tex] for x, where [tex]m=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. This will give you the points where the line and curve intersect, which means you'll have the x values of where the tangent(s) to the curve passing through (1,2) touch the curve.

Alright, so then i would have to first get the slope of the line though wouldn't i? how can i do that if i only have one point?

Hypnos_16 said:
Alright, so then i would have to first get the slope of the line though wouldn't i? how can i do that if i only have one point?

Well we know the gradient is going to be the derivative at the point x that we solve for, so we can just find the derivative and replace the variable m for it.

So i got a value of x to be -2 - 1√3 and -2 + 1√3. I'm thinking something has gone wrong, cause that would be impossible to try and work out.

What do you mean it would be impossible to try and work out?

So the x values are [tex]x=-2\pm \sqrt{3}[/tex], now find the corresponding y values to complete the answer. If you want to check to be sure you have the right answer, find the derivative at those points, then test to see if the line going through that point with such a gradient passes through (1,2).

But I'll save you the effort and tell you now that it's right.

haha thanks. I just had a moment where i forgot these can also be decimal values. As i read that too i thought, this problem doesn't seem worth all this effort. But thanks for checking them for me. I appreciate it man. Thanks for all your help again.

1. How do you determine the number of tangent lines that go to a certain point?

The number of tangent lines that go to a certain point on a curve depends on the type of curve and the position of the point. For a straight line, there is only one tangent line that passes through any given point. For a circle, there are two tangent lines that pass through a point on the circumference. For more complex curves, the number of tangent lines can vary.

2. Can a point have more than two tangent lines?

Yes, in certain cases, a point can have more than two tangent lines. This occurs when the curve has a sharp point or a cusp at that particular point. In these cases, multiple tangent lines can be drawn that pass through the point and are all perpendicular to the curve at that point.

3. How do you find the equations of the tangent lines at a specific point?

To find the equations of the tangent lines at a specific point, you will need to use the slope formula and the point-slope formula. First, find the slope of the curve at the given point. Then, use the point-slope formula with the given point and the slope to find the equation of the tangent line. Repeat this process for each tangent line at the point if there are multiple.

4. Can a point have no tangent lines?

Yes, there are certain cases where a point may not have any tangent lines. This can occur when the curve is discontinuous or has a sharp point that does not allow for a tangent line to be drawn. Additionally, in three-dimensional space, a point may not have a tangent line if it is on the surface of a sphere or a similar curved object.

5. What is the significance of tangent lines to a certain point?

Tangent lines are important in calculus and in understanding the behavior of curves. They represent the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at a specific point. Additionally, they can be used to approximate the curve near the point and to find the slope of the curve at that point. Tangent lines also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.