How much energy is released when 1 kg of uranium 235 is fissioned?

In summary, when 1.0 kg of uranium 235 is fissioned, it releases about 83.14 terajoules of energy. This can be calculated by using the formula E=mc^2, where m is the mass of the uranium and c is the speed of light. This amount of energy is significantly higher than the energy released by a single electron, and it is important to consider the units when making these calculations.
leehufford

Homework Statement

In a nuclear reactor, each atom of uranium (235 amu) releases about 200 MeV when it fissions. What is the change in mass when 1.0 kg of uranium 235 is fissioned?

Homework Equations

E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the energy released per kg based on the numbers above, plugged it into the above formula and got a number I do not think is reasonable: 9.11 x 10-10. That number reminds me of the mass of an electron, only its orders of magnitude higher. Am I oversimplifying this problem? It really has me confused. Thanks in advance,

Lee

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing the mass of each uranium atom we can compute the energy released (Joule in the IS of units) for each gram of uranium.
It is important to always have in mind the units we are using. You don't explicit the units you're using when you calculate energy, but the energy of 1 Kg of Uranium must be way higher than that...

I've found for you that 1kg of U235 (3,75%) has 83,14 TJ/kg :O

1. What is relativistic nuclear energy?

Relativistic nuclear energy refers to the energy released when atoms are split or fused together, in accordance with Einstein's theory of relativity. This energy is much larger than the energy released in chemical reactions, and is the basis for nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

2. How is relativistic nuclear energy generated?

Relativistic nuclear energy is generated through nuclear reactions, such as nuclear fission and fusion. In nuclear fission, the nucleus of an atom is split into smaller fragments, releasing a large amount of energy. In nuclear fusion, the nuclei of two atoms are combined to form a larger nucleus, also releasing a significant amount of energy.

3. What are the advantages of using relativistic nuclear energy?

One of the main advantages of using relativistic nuclear energy is that it produces a large amount of energy from a relatively small amount of fuel. This makes it a highly efficient source of energy. Additionally, nuclear power plants do not emit greenhouse gases, making it a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels.

4. What are the potential risks of using relativistic nuclear energy?

There are several potential risks associated with relativistic nuclear energy, including the possibility of accidents or meltdowns at nuclear power plants. Radioactive waste produced by nuclear reactions also poses a threat to the environment and human health if not properly managed. Additionally, there is the risk of nuclear weapons proliferation and the potential for nuclear disasters.

5. How is relativistic nuclear energy regulated?

Relativistic nuclear energy is regulated by government agencies, such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in the United States. These agencies set safety standards and regulations for the operation of nuclear facilities, as well as monitor and enforce compliance. International organizations, such as the International Atomic Energy Agency, also play a role in regulating and promoting the safe use of nuclear energy worldwide.