Kinetic Friction toboggan Problem

In summary, the problem involves a rescue worker pulling an injured skier on a toboggan at a constant speed across flat snow. The worker holds a 2.43 m rope taut at shoulder level, and the tension in the rope is 148 N. With the worker's shoulders at 1.65 m above the ground, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the toboggan and the snow can be calculated by finding the horizontal component of the tension force and using it in the equation for friction force. The correct answer is 0.0950, with the error potentially caused by neglecting the vertical component of the rope's pulling force in calculating the normal force.
r_swayze
A rescue worker pulls an injured skier lying on a toboggan (with a combined mass of 127 kg) across flat snow at a constant speed. A 2.43 m rope is attached to the toboggan at ground level, and the rescuer holds the rope taut at shoulder level. If the rescuer's shoulders are 1.65 m above the ground, and the tension in the rope is 148 N, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the toboggan and the snow?

I have two questions about this problem.

Is the net force of the toboggan = Tension force - Friction force = ma = 0 ??

Is the Rope tension force = 148*cos(arcsin(1.65/2.43)) ??

I don't know if I am reading the problem about the rope part wrong . Should we be using trigonometry here?

Physics news on Phys.org
r_swayze said:
Is the net force of the toboggan = Tension force - Friction force = ma = 0 ??

Yes, but careful: the tension force is not the total tension in the rope, but the horizontal component of the total tension.

Is the Rope tension force = 148*cos(arcsin(1.65/2.43)) ??

If you mean the horizontal component of the tension, yes.

I don't know if I am reading the problem about the rope part wrong .

I'm reading it the same way you are.

Yes, I meant the horizontal component of the rope tension.

So, that means that the Friction force is the negative of the rope tension's horizontal component?

I computed this and I got the wrong answer. I got a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.0868, when the answer should be 0.0950.

Where have I erred?

The angle should be arctan(1.65/2.43), not arcsin.

EDIT: What I just said is totally wrong and arcsin was correct in the first place.

Last edited:
I suspect that you used the full weight of the sled+skier as the normal force, and neglected the fact that the vertical component of the rope's pulling force would pull up on them slightly, reducing the normal force.

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the irregularities.

2. How does kinetic friction affect a toboggan?

Kinetic friction affects a toboggan by creating a force that opposes its motion. This force can make it harder for the toboggan to slide on the snow, and can also cause it to slow down or stop altogether.

3. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be determined for a toboggan?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a toboggan can be determined by conducting experiments where the toboggan is pulled or pushed across different surfaces at a constant speed. The force required to keep the toboggan moving can then be measured and used to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. How can kinetic friction be reduced for a toboggan?

Kinetic friction can be reduced for a toboggan by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as a smooth plastic bottom. Additionally, waxing the bottom of the toboggan or spraying it with a lubricant can also help reduce kinetic friction.

5. How does the weight of the toboggan affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The weight of the toboggan can affect the amount of kinetic friction by increasing the normal force between the toboggan and the surface it is on. This results in a greater force of kinetic friction, making it more difficult for the toboggan to slide.