Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much is the turk that a usual person enter over the bicycle pedal ? ( the range )

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    how much is the turk that a usual person enter over the bicycle pedal ? ( the range )
    i want to know . is it enough to ride a bicycle through drastic uphill bye foot power? or use some booster to drive better . i want to design a hydraulic transmition for bicycle . do i have to use pressure booster to increase the force on rear wheel or the 1:1 transmited turk is enough ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Re: how much is the turk that a usual person enter over the bicycle pedal ? ( the ran

Welcome to PF, Ahad. I'm afraid that your question is a little vague. The torque that you provide depends upon both your weight and the length of the pedals (lever arms). The gearing system determines the torque/speed ratio. Generally speaking, it works the same way as in a car. You start in low gear for acceleration, and then gradually shift up until you reach your desired speed.

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3

minger

Science Advisor

Re: how much is the turk that a usual person enter over the bicycle pedal ? ( the ran

I think that maximum and typical energy outputs for humans are relatively standard. Perhaps you could take the energy and back calculate the torque based on the angular velocity?

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4

in my opinion, its going to be real hard to beat the simplicity of the conventional bike gear. With a hydrostatic system, you will have more mass on the bike, from the system to generate, transfer, and possibly cool the fluid, along with the mass of the fluid. plus, I suspect, slippage will further reduce the efficiency. Interesting idea, though

dr

6. Mar 16, 2010 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Agreed. It would make a cool conversation piece, but the space and weight that such a system would require would be better occupied by a motor.

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The real question is how much torque can a turk generate?

http://weslowery.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/turk-745163.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Mar 17, 2010 #7

An experienced bicyclist can produce ~100 watts continuously at ~ 90 RPM.

Bob S

9. Mar 18, 2010 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

"The real question is how much torque can a turk generate?"
    You can torque the torque but can you worque the worque?

10. Mar 18, 2010 #9

I don't think you know what you're torquing about

dr

11. Mar 18, 2010 #10

Danger

Gold Member

I see that this thread is getting twisted...

12. Mar 18, 2010 #11

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Hey wait a moment! :rolleyes:

13. Mar 19, 2010 #12

the bad jokes keep going round and round

its almost "tau" much

dr

14. Mar 19, 2010 #13

I think with a mountain bike you can produce way more torque than you need. I tried going up a STEEP hill once, and the limiting factor was the front wheel coming off the ground, not the lack of torque...

15. Mar 19, 2010 #14

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That's a wheely wheely serious problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook