Riding a Bicycle Uphill: How Much Torque Is Needed?

In summary, the conversation is about the amount of torque needed for a person to ride a bicycle through steep uphill terrain. The torque required depends on the weight and length of the pedals, and the gearing system works similarly to a car. A hydraulic transmission for a bicycle is mentioned, but it may be too complex and heavy compared to a conventional bike gear. The maximum energy output for humans is around 100 watts, and with a mountain bike, the front wheel coming off the ground is a limiting factor for torque.
ahad_yekta
how much is the turk that a usual person enter over the bicycle pedal ? ( the range )
i want to know . is it enough to ride a bicycle through drastic uphill bye foot power? or use some booster to drive better . i want to design a hydraulic transmition for bicycle . do i have to use pressure booster to increase the force on rear wheel or the 1:1 transmited turk is enough ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, Ahad. I'm afraid that your question is a little vague. The torque that you provide depends upon both your weight and the length of the pedals (lever arms). The gearing system determines the torque/speed ratio. Generally speaking, it works the same way as in a car. You start in low gear for acceleration, and then gradually shift up until you reach your desired speed.

I think that maximum and typical energy outputs for humans are relatively standard. Perhaps you could take the energy and back calculate the torque based on the angular velocity?

in my opinion, its going to be real hard to beat the simplicity of the conventional bike gear. With a hydrostatic system, you will have more mass on the bike, from the system to generate, transfer, and possibly cool the fluid, along with the mass of the fluid. plus, I suspect, slippage will further reduce the efficiency. Interesting idea, though

dr

Agreed. It would make a cool conversation piece, but the space and weight that such a system would require would be better occupied by a motor.

The real question is how much torque can a turk generate?

http://weslowery.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/turk-745163.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

An experienced bicyclist can produce ~100 watts continuously at ~ 90 RPM.Bob S

"The real question is how much torque can a turk generate?"
You can torque the torque but can you worque the worque?

I don't think you know what you're torquing about

dr

I see that this thread is getting twisted...

Danger said:
I see that this thread is getting twisted...

Hey wait a moment! :rolleyes:

the bad jokes keep going round and round

its almost "tau" much

dr

I think with a mountain bike you can produce way more torque than you need. I tried going up a STEEP hill once, and the limiting factor was the front wheel coming off the ground, not the lack of torque...

That's a wheely wheely serious problem.

1. How does the steepness of the hill affect the amount of torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill?

The steeper the hill, the more torque is needed to ride a bicycle uphill. This is because the force of gravity pulling the rider and the bicycle down the hill becomes greater, requiring more torque to overcome.

2. Is it more efficient to use a higher gear or a lower gear when riding a bicycle uphill?

It is generally more efficient to use a lower gear when riding a bicycle uphill. This is because a lower gear allows the rider to pedal at a higher cadence, which reduces the amount of torque needed to maintain the same speed.

3. What factors besides the steepness of the hill impact the amount of torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill?

The weight of the rider and the bicycle, the slope of the road, wind resistance, and the condition of the bicycle's drivetrain can all impact the amount of torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill.

4. How can I calculate the amount of torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill?

To calculate the torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill, you will need to know the slope of the hill, the weight of the rider and the bicycle, and the gear ratio. You can then use the formula: Torque = (Weight x Slope x 9.8) x Gear Ratio. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and other factors may impact the actual torque needed.

5. Are there any techniques or strategies for reducing the amount of torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help reduce the amount of torque needed to ride a bicycle uphill. These include maintaining a steady cadence, using proper cycling form, shifting to a lower gear before the hill becomes too steep, and finding a route with a less steep incline.