How much of science is faith based?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is the same philosophical nonsense that reminds us that science can't prove things axiomatically. Yes we know this, but why should I worry about that? Call me when the sun doesn't rise tomorrow. Until then no one cares about this pretentious statement.
If you are not making claims that this 'nonsense' refutes, then it is not directed at you.

And again I don't have faith in science. ... No, science takes the evidence and formulates concepts to explain the evidence. How anyone cannot discern faith from evidence is beyond me.
Tell me -- how did you decide to believe in empiricism?

Last edited:
If you are not making claims that this 'nonsense' refutes, then it is not directed at you.

Tell me -- how did you decide to believe in empiricism?
Why do you always ask if I believe? I just told you I don't believe in science. I use science to find out the actual truth of the natural world because it's methodology is the most powerful and effective one in finding out the truth. If there was a methodology that was more powerful and effective at finding out the truth than science then I would use that one instead. How is this so hard to comprehend?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I use science to find out the actual truth of the natural world because it's methodology is the most powerful and effective one in finding out the truth.
How did you determine that?

If there was a methodology that was more powerful and effective at finding out the truth than science then I would use that one instead.
How would you make that judgement?

How did you determine that?
Through evidence that supports these scientific claims. See how everything comes back to evidence?

How would you make that judgement?
Through evidence. See how everything comes back to evidence?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Through evidence that supports these scientific claims. See how everything comes back to evidence?
And what kind of evidence are you referring to? Empirical evidence, I assume... and thus I ask you why you decided to believe in empiricism.

And what kind of evidence are you referring to? Empirical evidence, I assume... and thus I ask you why you decided to believe in empiricism.
I don't believe in it. It simply explains natural phenomena very accurately and has accurate prediction power. This, as I'm assuming you'll ask, is backed up by EVIDENCE.

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't believe in it. It simply explains natural phenomena very accurately and has accurate prediction power. This, as I'm assuming you'll ask, is backed up by EVIDENCE.
I assume you mean empirical evidence.

So, to summarize:
(1) You do not accept that empiricism is a means of acquiring knowledge.
(2) You asserting that empiricism can be used to justify empiricism.

Is this correct?

One could advocate from a foundationalist perspective that empiricism is undeniable and not necessarily the only source of knowledge, since you still need to prove, a priori, that your mind exists.

I assume you mean empirical evidence.

So, to summarize:
(1) You do not accept that empiricism is a means of acquiring knowledge.
(2) You asserting that empiricism can be used to justify empiricism.

Is this correct?
# 2 is correct. #1 is not. Empiricism is a powerful mean of acquiring knowledge about the universe even if we do need the aid of powerful technology to help us view the very far objects as well as the microscopic. So I accept that empiricism is a means of acquiring knowledge.

One could advocate from a foundationalist perspective that empiricism is undeniable and not necessarily the only source of knowledge, since you still need to prove, a priori, that your mind exists.
Ok, I want you to open up your head and remove your entire brain, then stitch your head back up. Now tell me what you're feeling or even thinking.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is going nowhere fast.