How much of science is faith based?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: At some point you will run out of evidence, and then all that's left is persuasion.In science, we don't just rely on one piece of evidence. We look at the big picture and consider all the evidence we have gathered. That's why it's a constantly evolving process. And persuasion has no place in science, only evidence and reasoning. In summary, the conversation discussed the role of science and faith in society, as well as the concept of evidence in determining the validity of beliefs. The speaker argued that science is based on evidence, while faith is based on belief without evidence. The conversation also touched on the idea of evidence building upon itself in science, while the concept of faith relies on persuasion.
Hurkyl said:
Discomfort is not proof against. :smile:

Yes, I concur. I tried to use weaker phrasing to avoid making assertions. :smile:

Hurkyl said:
Consider rationalism (truth comes from logical deduction) and empiricism (truth comes from experience). If you take either of them strictly, then they are clearly incompatable.

I exclude strict empiricism and strict rationalism from my basic beliefs for that reason.

Hurkyl said:
But the two can be used in concert -- for example, as used in science. (Science is not pure reason!)

Science definitely relies on some of the ideas from empiricism and rationalism. However, those ideas are unified within the same basic belief. That is in contrast to science and fideism, which are two separate basic beliefs. Can one apply fideism to justify a proposition and ignore science, if one were to hold both as part of their basic beliefs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I agree with Hurkyl, there is no reason why you can't be religious and also understand the science behind things. I think the problem lies primarily with a small group of Christian fundamentalists (vocal minority) that take the bible to be literally true. They seem to be the ones that find scientific explanations to be in opposition to what they believe is true.

While I agree you don't have to be a fundamentalist to be religious, I find the 'watered down religion' of the moderates equally nonsensical. And even leaving off the fact that it opens up a door to the insanity of fundamentalism, its nothing more than a 'god of the gaps' hypocrisy. Its about people who recognize the inherent nonsense of established religions, but are afraid of the notion that there is no divine purpose. This is bad for science too, because it gives justification to people who want to turn their brain off... on this or that topic.

wave said:
An Agnostic Theist would be an example of someone who believes without reason. In particular, they believe in the existence of god(s), but at the same time, acknowledge that it is an unjustified belief. In other words, it is a belief outside the realms of knowledge. I hope it is clear now. :smile:

I'm not sure I buy that. I think that at some level all of our beliefs have explanations that we offer ourselves, even if they're not very good ones.

Science and religion are more often the ammo used when people argue. I'm thinking mostly of policy-making here (decisions that will have a large geographical influence over people and their social systems), but you could also apply it to your personal life, where you argue with people. When people start claiming to know big truths as a stepping stone to "prove" little truths, I become suspicious of an alternate motive.

The whole idea of "science vs. religion" is ridiculous anyway, because it's generalizing two huge subjects that have diverse branches and sub-branches (and probably sub-sub-sub-sub-branches by the time I get a PhD). It really comes down to "rational vs. irrational" and at the real heart of it "people you like" and "people you don't like".

I don't assume that biology or chemistry are anything like physics, I don't even think you can safely say that all nations view science in the same way or its relationships with religion.

The only conflict between science and religion is either when a.) science and religion makes different predictions or b.) methodological and epistemological disputes.

If religion does not give you evidence, then why do some people suddenly change religions all of a sudden?

click said:
If religion does not give you evidence, then why do some people suddenly change religions all of a sudden?

Unfortunately, that would apply to all religions. But most religions are mutually exclusive; thus making the claim of "conversion by evidence" collapse completely.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm not sure I buy that. I think that at some level all of our beliefs have explanations that we offer ourselves, even if they're not very good ones.

Your notion of reason is different from my definition. An explanation is not a justification if it doesn't follow from a basic belief. A pure rationalist may use experience to explain a belief, but that is not a justification according to foundationalists.

wave said:
Your notion of reason is different from my definition. An explanation is not a justification if it doesn't follow from a basic belief. A pure rationalist may use experience to explain a belief, but that is not a justification according to foundationalists.

Its the standard 'is/ought' problem.

You can't derive an 'ought', what you should do, from an 'is', what happens to be the case.

This is why you either need an absolute law, something divinely laid down, or entirely self-evident proposition.

Loren Booda said:
Is the moon there when you cannot sense it?
Unless someone else tells me they are observing the moon I have no way to know if it is there when I am not observing it for myself. All I know is that I can always observe it when I do look at it, and others can confirm my belief that it exists. It's trajectory is predictable and logical, and this allows the information to be communicated to others unequivocally. The unequivocalness of the moon makes it simple to believe that it absolutely exists whether I am currently observing it or not.

Does the great majority of nonscientists trust science?
I have no idea what the majority believe, as there seem to be such diversity in opinion it can be hard to determine. Being a nonscientist myself I would say my opinion is that the results produced by science are very reliable. I trust those results, even though I often question them. As I narrow my focus to methods I become skeptical. Finally, as I scrutinize individual motives I do not see many predictable patterns worthy of trusting. When I examine religion and spiritualism I find a pattern almost opposite to that.

Has knowledge in general become so arcane as to divorce it from practicality?
A lot of the advanced principles of science aren't practical for the average person, so I would say yes. The general level of knowledge need only be enough to take advantage of the efforts of a specialized society. I'm reminded of when my grandfather told me he doesn't work on his own cars much anymore because of all the electronics in them.

In their lives, most of mankind has selected a few convenient facts to explain their world view and accept the crumbs that filter down from academia. I believe that human nature impels also the scientist, no matter how learned, to rely mostly on personal belief for plastering together observations.

Which governs our lives and institutions, secular faith or science?
Secular faith governs society, not science. Many people have no grasp of even basic scientific principles simply because the knowledge isn't practical to their lives. One doesn't need to know about radio waves or battery chemistry or electronics to use a cell phone.

Personally, I think it is a mistake to say that science governs anything. Science is itself governed by our, hopefully objective, interpretation of the laws of the physical universe. Science does not govern the universe. Science exists only within the portion of the mind capable of rational thought. It is also my opinion that the best science is a result of insight and serendipity as much as it is of logical inference. Science does a good job of predicting logical phenomena. Faith, secular or otherwise, is better suited for determining the way in which one leads their life, determines the measure of beauty, and chooses to define their character. I see no reason that the two should conflict. In fact, if they are conflicting then it's probable that one is being used in place of the other. Truth is as beautiful as it is logical, and is confined to neither.

Sorry! said:
today my philosophy teacher quoted something that made me think of this thread lol

'Just because the rock will fall 1000000000000 times doesn't mean it will fall 1000000000001.'

forgot who it was... maybe heideggar? (its who we were reading at the time. :S)

This is the same philosophical nonsense that reminds us that science can't prove things axiomatically. Yes we know this, but why should I worry about that? Call me when the sun doesn't rise tomorrow. Until then no one cares about this pretentious statement.

click said:
The Greater the evidence, the greater the faith you will have... You have faith in science, don't you? Why? Because it gave you evidence... You will trust anything that gives you evidence... But some people don't bother looking for evidence, resulting in worthless faith... You need evidence to have faith that actually has some worth...

So if I see a window then that means I just believe in a window, and that really a window doesn't exist?

And again I don't have faith in science. I don't just read about science and go "oh man, this is so emotionally appealing to me, I think I'm going to believe in it." No, science takes the evidence and formulates concepts to explain the evidence. How anyone cannot discern faith from evidence is beyond me.

A lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand what science really is so I found a pretty good definition of what science is.

Science is the concerted human effort to understand, or to understand better, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of that understanding1. It is done through observation of natural phenomena, and/or through experimentation that tries to simulate natural processes under controlled conditions. -http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/1122science2.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
The only sane argument that could be used is that empiricism is a metaphysical research program, but foundationalists could simply claim that empiricism is undeniable. The only way out for a radical skeptic is them postulating a Cartesian Demon, and we all know where that lands us.

LightbulbSun said:
This is the same philosophical nonsense that reminds us that science can't prove things axiomatically. Yes we know this, but why should I worry about that? Call me when the sun doesn't rise tomorrow. Until then no one cares about this pretentious statement.

Oh well then, since you've set the record straight, we can all go home now.

Its too bad you weren't around 2 thousand years ago, we could have saved a lot of nonsense.

Someone tell the moderators to turn the lights out and lock up on the way out.

LightbulbSun said:
If you are not making claims that this 'nonsense' refutes, then it is not directed at you.

LightbulbSun said:
And again I don't have faith in science. ... No, science takes the evidence and formulates concepts to explain the evidence. How anyone cannot discern faith from evidence is beyond me.
Tell me -- how did you decide to believe in empiricism?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
If you are not making claims that this 'nonsense' refutes, then it is not directed at you.

Tell me -- how did you decide to believe in empiricism?

Why do you always ask if I believe? I just told you I don't believe in science. I use science to find out the actual truth of the natural world because it's methodology is the most powerful and effective one in finding out the truth. If there was a methodology that was more powerful and effective at finding out the truth than science then I would use that one instead. How is this so hard to comprehend?

LightbulbSun said:
I use science to find out the actual truth of the natural world because it's methodology is the most powerful and effective one in finding out the truth.
How did you determine that?

If there was a methodology that was more powerful and effective at finding out the truth than science then I would use that one instead.
How would you make that judgement?

Hurkyl said:
How did you determine that?

Through evidence that supports these scientific claims. See how everything comes back to evidence?

How would you make that judgement?

Through evidence. See how everything comes back to evidence?

LightbulbSun said:
Through evidence that supports these scientific claims. See how everything comes back to evidence?
And what kind of evidence are you referring to? Empirical evidence, I assume... and thus I ask you why you decided to believe in empiricism.

Hurkyl said:
And what kind of evidence are you referring to? Empirical evidence, I assume... and thus I ask you why you decided to believe in empiricism.

I don't believe in it. It simply explains natural phenomena very accurately and has accurate prediction power. This, as I'm assuming you'll ask, is backed up by EVIDENCE.

LightbulbSun said:
I don't believe in it. It simply explains natural phenomena very accurately and has accurate prediction power. This, as I'm assuming you'll ask, is backed up by EVIDENCE.
I assume you mean empirical evidence.

So, to summarize:
(1) You do not accept that empiricism is a means of acquiring knowledge.
(2) You asserting that empiricism can be used to justify empiricism.

Is this correct?

One could advocate from a foundationalist perspective that empiricism is undeniable and not necessarily the only source of knowledge, since you still need to prove, a priori, that your mind exists.

Hurkyl said:
I assume you mean empirical evidence.

So, to summarize:
(1) You do not accept that empiricism is a means of acquiring knowledge.
(2) You asserting that empiricism can be used to justify empiricism.

Is this correct?

# 2 is correct. #1 is not. Empiricism is a powerful mean of acquiring knowledge about the universe even if we do need the aid of powerful technology to help us view the very far objects as well as the microscopic. So I accept that empiricism is a means of acquiring knowledge.

Moridin said:
One could advocate from a foundationalist perspective that empiricism is undeniable and not necessarily the only source of knowledge, since you still need to prove, a priori, that your mind exists.

Ok, I want you to open up your head and remove your entire brain, then stitch your head back up. Now tell me what you're feeling or even thinking.

This is going nowhere fast.