How Much Power is Needed to Pump Water Up 10 Meters and Out at High Speed?

In summary, the engine pumps water from a river 10m below its own level and discharges it through a nozzle of diameter 10cm with a speed of 50ms^-1. The power required to do this is given by: A = 25\pi \text{ cm}^2.
Jerome1
An engine pumps water from a river 10m below its own level and discharges it through a nozzle of diameter 10cm with a speed of 50ms^-1. Find the power required assuming (a) no losses. (b) 70% efficiency. Water weighs 10^3kgm^-3. (g = 10ms^-2)

Please help me with this problem, I've bever come across such a problem before..

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jerome said:
An engine pumps water from a river 10m below its own level and discharges it through a nozzle of diameter 10cm with a speed of 50ms^-1. Find the power required assuming (a) no losses. (b) 70% efficiency. Water weighs 10^3kgm^-3. (g = 10ms^-2)

Please help me with this problem, I've bever come across such a problem b4..

Hi Jerome! :)

I am not sure where you are stuck, so I'll just give some hints.

Suppose we discharge water for 1 second.
What is the volume that comes out of the nozzle during this 1 second?
What is its mass?
How much energy does it take to transport that mass 10 meters up?

how to go about the diameter thing!

Jerome said:
how to go about the diameter thing!

Well, what is the area of a circle disk with the given diameter?

Here...
d = 2 * r
10 = 2 * r
r = 10/2
r = 5cm
Area = PI*r*r
Area = (22/7) * 25
Area = 550/7
= 78.57 ~
am i correct?

Jerome said:
Here...
d = 2 * r
10 = 2 * r
r = 10/2
r = 5cm
Area = PI*r*r
Area = (22/7) * 25
Area = 550/7
= 78.57 ~
am i correct?

That's a close estimate (and the right way of working) but in order to avoid rounding errors it's better to leave your answer in terms of \(\displaystyle \pi\) at this stage and say \(\displaystyle A = 25\pi \text{ cm}^2\)

Now that you have the area of the nozzle can you work out the volume of water that passes through it per second? If you don't know the equation remember that volumetric flow rate has dimensions of \(\displaystyle \text{[length]}^3 \cdot \text{[time]}^{-1}\)

\(\displaystyle Q_V = Av\)

i don't know how to work it out

Jerome said:
i don't know how to work it out

As I said in my last post the volumetric flow rate has dimensions of \(\displaystyle \text{[length]}^3 \cdot \text{[time]}^{-1}\)

Area has dimensions of \(\displaystyle \text{[length]}^2\) and velocity has dimensions \(\displaystyle \text{[length]} \cdot \text{[time]}^{-1}\)

Can you work out how to get the volumetric flow rate using these dimensions?

edit: When working out be wary of units

Last edited:

Related to How Much Power is Needed to Pump Water Up 10 Meters and Out at High Speed?

1. What is a "Physics Engine Pump problem"?

A "Physics Engine Pump problem" refers to a common issue in virtual physics simulations where a pump or other fluid system does not behave as expected due to inaccuracies or limitations in the simulation's physics engine.

2. How do physics engines handle fluid dynamics?

Physics engines use mathematical algorithms to simulate the behavior of fluids based on their physical properties such as density, viscosity, and pressure. These algorithms can vary in accuracy and complexity, which can affect the realism of the fluid simulation.

3. What are some common causes of pump problems in physics engines?

Pump problems in physics engines can be caused by various factors, including improper fluid properties, incorrect pump placement or orientation, and limitations in the physics engine's algorithms. In some cases, the pump may also be interacting with other objects in the simulation in unexpected ways.

4. How can pump problems be mitigated in physics simulations?

To mitigate pump problems in physics simulations, it is important to carefully adjust the fluid properties and pump parameters to match the desired behavior. Additionally, using a more advanced and accurate physics engine can also help to reduce or eliminate pump problems.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving physics engine pump problems?

Yes, solving physics engine pump problems is crucial for accurate simulations in various industries, including engineering, fluid dynamics research, and video game development. By accurately simulating fluid behavior, these industries can better understand and predict the real-world effects of different pump systems and make more informed decisions.