How much time does it take until the pulses pass each other?

• Thread starter rocky811
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the problem involves two parallel wires with different tensions and a question about the time it takes for transverse wave pulses to pass each other. The velocity of each wave can be found using the formula v=sqrt(T/m), and then the position of the waves can be equated to solve for the time.
rocky811
Here's the problem I need some help with!

Two wires are parallel, and one is directly above the other. Each has a length of 61.3 m and a mass per unit length of 0.0209 kg/m. However, the tension in wire A is 29.8 x 10^2 N, while the tension in wire B is 3.21 x 10^2 N. Transverse wave pulses are generated simultaneously, one at the left end of wire A and one at the right end of wire B. The pulses travel toward each other. How much time does it take until the pulses pass each other?

I know how to find the velocity of each wave:
v= sqrt (Tension/mass per length)
vA=sqrt (2980/.0209)=377.603 m/s
vB= sqrt (321/.0209)= 123.93 m/s

I just don't know where to go from here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did the hard part! Just write the position of the two waves and equate them:

[tex]v_1 t = L - v_2 t[/tex]

and solve for t.

Thank you! I guess I just thought it would be harder than that to figure out the time so I don't know what I was thinking. But thanks!

Related to How much time does it take until the pulses pass each other?

1. How is the time for pulses to pass each other calculated?

The time for pulses to pass each other is calculated by dividing the distance between the two pulses by the difference in their speeds. This can be represented by the formula: time = distance / (speed1 - speed2).

2. What factors affect the time it takes for pulses to pass each other?

The time for pulses to pass each other is affected by the distance between the two pulses, the difference in their speeds, and any external factors such as obstacles or interference in the medium through which the pulses are traveling.

3. Can the time for pulses to pass each other be changed?

Yes, the time for pulses to pass each other can be changed by altering any of the factors that affect it. For example, if the distance between the two pulses is increased, the time it takes for them to pass each other will also increase.

4. Is the time for pulses to pass each other the same in all mediums?

No, the time for pulses to pass each other can vary depending on the medium through which the pulses are traveling. This is because different mediums have different properties that can affect the speed of the pulses.

5. How is the time for pulses to pass each other related to the speed of the pulses?

The time for pulses to pass each other is inversely proportional to the speed of the pulses. This means that as the speed of the pulses increases, the time it takes for them to pass each other decreases, and vice versa.