How much understanding is enough to truly master a course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter TechieDork
  • Start date
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Arguments like what is going on here miss the kind of assessment that can and does take place - Assessment questions can be for mathematical problem-solving questions, and assessments can focus on concepts and theory. Nothing stands in the way of teaching professor using both kinds of assessment questions/problems.

Likes Mondayman
Define master! If I take the word literally, the answer is: As much as it needs to teach it.
I like that definition... I'm going to steal it ;)

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It never ceases to amaze me how some students can do quite bad/well in a written exam, yet when you give them an oral exam they move to another end of the spectrum.
When I was an undergrad, we had "oral" final exams in both semesters (same instructor) of fourth-year quantum mechanics. Each student had an appointment in the prof's office to solve problems on the prof's blackboard while the prof watched. The problems were the same as he would have given in a typical sit-down final exam. No consultation with book, notes, or formula sheet was allowed. The more the prof had to intervene to help the student through a problem, the lower the grade on the problem.

Last edited:
When I was an undergrad, we had "oral" final exams in both semesters (same instructor) of fourth-year quantum mechanics. Each student had an appointment in the prof's office to solve problems on the prof's blackboard while the prof watched. The problems were the same as he would have given in a typical sit-down final exam. No consultation with book, notes, or formula sheet was allowed. The more the prof had to intervene to help the student through a problem, the lower the grade on the problem.
I could see how someone might do worse under those circumstances. lol. a written exam gives you time to sit around trying things and waiting for a Eureka moment. being stared down the entire time would be stressful.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I could see how someone might do worse under those circumstances. lol. a written exam gives you time to sit around trying things and waiting for a Eureka moment. being stared down the entire time would be stressful.
My most stressful moment in a professor’s office ocurred after I handed in an assignment. He asked me to take a seat while he corrected it and I was just sitting there waiting while he was staring intently at my assignment and making sounds like ”mhhmmm” and ”aha”.