How Much Water Can Lightning Boil Away from a Tree?

• Thread starter mpm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help with two questions that they struggled with on a previous homework assignment. They were told they would likely see these questions again on the exam and are seeking assistance in understanding how to solve them. The first question involves calculating the amount of water that can be boiled away from a tree after a certain amount of energy is transferred through a potential difference. The second question involves finding the magnitude of an electric field at a specific distance from the center of a uniformly charged sphere.
mpm
I need help with 2 questions that I can't seem to figure out. I had them for homework but I never got it right and the homework has since been turned in.

I was told I would most likely see these problems again on the exam. Therefore I need to learn how to do them. Can anyone help me out on these?

Question 1:

A certain strom cloud has a potential difference of 8.9 x 10^7 V relative to a tree. Water has a specific heat of 4186 J/kg*C, a boiling point of 100 Celsius and a heat of vaporization of 2.26 x 10^6 J/kg.

If, during a lightning storm, 52 C charge is transferred through this potential difference and 1.96% of the netery is absorbed by the tree, how much water (sap in the tree) initially at 20.9 Celcius can be boiled away? Answer in kg.

Question 2:

An insulating sphere of radius 14 cm has a uniform charge dnesity through its volume. If the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 7.5029 cm from the center is 98545.6 N/C, what is the magnitude of the electric field at 28.0078 cm from the center? Answer in N/C. (Radius of sphere is 14 cm)

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) this problem is very simplified.. you know that [tex]E=QV[/tex] where E is the energy transfered, Q is the charge transferred and V is the voltage difference in which it was tranfered with.

now just calculate how much energy you transferred to that tree and how many kilo's of water you can vaporize with it...

Last edited:
as for the second question:

the field of a uniformly charged sphere is like a point charge at the middle with the net charge...
[tex]E=\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]
you can find the net charge, and calculate the field at the new distance, or just say the ratio between the fields is equal to the square of the ratio between the two radii.. [tex]\frac{E_1}{E_2}=(\frac{r_2}{r_1})^2[/tex]

Related to How Much Water Can Lightning Boil Away from a Tree?

1. What are the two physics questions you need help with?

The two physics questions are as follows:

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

2. How does the force of gravity affect the motion of an object?

2. Can you provide some context or background information for the questions?

Yes, the first question is commonly asked by students learning about kinematics and the equations of motion. The second question often arises when studying the effects of gravity on objects, such as in the study of celestial mechanics.

3. What are some potential solutions or strategies for solving these questions?

For the first question, it would be helpful to review the definitions of velocity and acceleration, as well as the equations that relate the two. For the second question, understanding Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and the concept of free fall can aid in finding a solution.

4. Are there any real-world examples or applications of these concepts?

Yes, these concepts are fundamental to understanding the motion of objects in our everyday lives. For example, understanding velocity and acceleration can help us calculate the distance and time it takes to travel from one place to another. The force of gravity also plays a crucial role in the motion of planets and satellites in space.

5. Is there any additional information or resources that can assist in understanding these questions?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks that can provide further explanations and practice problems related to these concepts. Seeking help from a physics tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in understanding these questions.