1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much work is done by force

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On my exam, I got this problem wrong, which I believed was incredibly easy, and I don't know why it's wrong...

"A constant force of 25 N is applied as shown to a block which undergoes a displacement of 7.5 m to the right along a frictionless surface while the force acts. What is the work done by the force?"
    Juhnd9L.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    W = F * S

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is a displacement to the right, while the force vector is to the left, therefore work is in the negative.

displacement (s) = 7.5 m
    F = 25 N (cos 30 degrees)

I chose cosine because we are only concerned for the x direction...which is adjacent to the angle of 30 degrees...

therefore
    W = F * s = [25 N (cos 30)] * [-7.5 m]
    W = -162 J

However the answe was -94 J...and this is because sine was used instead. Why? My professor didn't care to explain why...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can only suggest you ask your professor what the answer would have been with an angle of 90 degrees.

4. Jun 4, 2015 #3
    are you agreeing that I was correct? because if so that's a whole letter grade I get back to my test if I can stump my professor and prove that I was right...and I help out my classmates with the same answer as me.

and that's true...because if it was 90 degrees no work would be done but since he used sine which equals 1 it's implying work was done...and a verticle force never causes a horizontal displacement.

I thought you also never use sine for work. I never came across a problem where you had to besides this one.

5. Jun 4, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    It depends how you are defining the angle. What if F were dragging the block up against a vertical wall? Or if the given angle were measured against the vertical?
    If you are defining the angle to be that between the force vector and the displacement vector then I agree. ##|\vec x.\vec y| = |\vec x|.|\vec y| |\cos(\theta)|##

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. Jun 4, 2015 #5
    I see from your examples, it would make sense to use sine then in those situations.

thank you for the explanation. I suppose I will confront him about this, as nice as possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted