How much work is done by the thrusters on a shuttle changing distances of orbit

• Thread starter nickhuf098
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit Work
In summary, the problem involves a 2000kg lunar lander in orbit 40km above the surface of the moon, needing to move out to a 500km orbit in order to link up with a mothership. The solution requires calculating the work done by non-conservative forces, which can be found by taking the total energy of the second orbit minus the total energy of the first orbit.
nickhuf098

Homework Statement

a 2000kg lunar lander is in orbit 40km above the surface of the moon. it needs to move out to a 500km orbit in oder to link up with a mothership that will take the astronauts home. it wants the answer in joules

Homework Equations

??E2-E1=Work done by non conservative forces

The Attempt at a Solution

I get answers like 9.91*10^9 joules or negative 9.91*10^9

i thought that Total energy in an orbit=0 so i solved E(@40km)=mv1^2-GMm/r1=2000(v1^2-GM/40000+Rmoon)

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the topic happen to be work/energy (as in "potential energy")?

If so maybe m*g_moon(h2-h1)... is worth thinking about

Ooops - the distances are km! (I was thinking meters).

You'd probably need to integrate f(r)dr [force as a function of distance times incremental change in distance to center of moon - i.e. work] from (40000+R_moon) to (500000+R_moon), where f(r)=Gm1m2/r^2

m1=mass of moon
m2=mass of lander
R=radius of moon

Thanks for the help but i finally figured it out.

I had to take the total energy of the second orbit minus the total energy of the first orbit to get the work done by non conservative forces aka the thrusters. Thanks for your assistance though especially about changing it to meters from km

1. How do thrusters on a shuttle change the distance of orbit?

Thrusters on a shuttle work by expelling a high-velocity stream of gas, which creates a reaction force that propels the shuttle in the opposite direction. By firing the thrusters in the direction of the desired change in orbit, the shuttle can increase or decrease its distance from a celestial body.

2. How is the amount of work done by the thrusters measured?

The amount of work done by the thrusters can be measured using the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force exerted by the thrusters, and d is the distance over which the force is exerted. This will give the total amount of work done by the thrusters to change the distance of the shuttle's orbit.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by the thrusters?

The amount of work done by the thrusters is affected by the mass of the shuttle, the force and direction of the thrusters, and the distance over which the thrusters are applied. Additionally, the gravitational pull of the celestial body and any external forces acting on the shuttle can also impact the amount of work done.

4. Can the amount of work done by the thrusters be negative?

Yes, the amount of work done by the thrusters can be negative if the thrusters are fired in the opposite direction of the desired change in orbit. This means that the thrusters are actually decreasing the distance of the shuttle's orbit, rather than increasing it.

5. How does the amount of work done by the thrusters affect the shuttle's fuel consumption?

The amount of work done by the thrusters directly correlates to the amount of fuel consumed by the shuttle. The more work that is done, the more fuel will be used. This is why it is important for scientists and engineers to carefully calculate and optimize the amount of work done by the thrusters to ensure efficient use of fuel.