How much work is done? (Frictionless plane, xy coodrinates)

• Thread starter TheSnacks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Work
In summary, the problem involves a coin sliding across a frictionless plane with a constant force of magnitude 7.8 N acting on it at an angle of 105° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. The question asks for the amount of work done by the force on the coin during its displacement from the origin to the point (1.5 m, 4.5 m). The equation Fxdx + Fydy = W is used to solve the problem, with the x and y components of the force and the x and y coordinates for the displacement being plugged in. After using cosine and sine to find the force components, the correct answer can be obtained.
TheSnacks

Homework Statement

A coin slides over a frictionless plane and across an xy coordinate system from the origin to a point with xy coordinates (1.5 m, 4.5 m) while a constant force acts on it. The force has magnitude 7.8 N and is directed at a counterclockwise angle of 105° from the positive direction of the x axis. How much work is done by the force on the coin during the displacement?

Homework Equations

I used the equation Fxdx + Fydy = W

The Attempt at a Solution

I used cosine and sine to find the x and y components of the Force. And the x and y coordinates for the displacement were already given. I figured everything would work when I plug those in, but I had no luck. Any idea what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do exactly?

If you give what you did exactly, and what answers you got it would be easier to help you. You have the right idea, just aren't executing it properly.

Thanks for trying to help - sorry for the lack of information. But I figured it out.

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. It is the energy transferred to an object when a force is applied over a certain distance.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied in the direction of motion by the distance moved. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is a frictionless plane?

A frictionless plane is a theoretical concept in physics where there is no friction present between a surface and an object moving across it. This allows for easier calculation of work and other physical phenomena.

4. How is work affected by a frictionless plane?

In a frictionless plane, work is not affected by friction as there is none present. This means that the work done on an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force.

5. How are xy coordinates used in calculating work on a frictionless plane?

In a frictionless plane, xy coordinates are used to determine the direction of the force and the displacement of the object. This allows for the calculation of work using the equation W = Fd, where F is the component of the force in the direction of motion and d is the distance moved in that direction.