How Peskin & Schroeder simplified this horrible product of bilinears?

In summary, Peskin and Schroeder show that the Pauli matrices are symmetric but sigmas change sign under transposition. Thus, by commuting them past all sigmas, the desired identity is obtained.
hamad12a
TL;DR Summary
I couldn't understand how to pass from sigma to sigma bar Pauli matrices.
P&S had calculated this expression almost explicitly, except that I didn't find a way to exchange the $$\nu \lambda$$ indices, but I'm sure the below identity is used,

$$
\begin{aligned}\left(\overline{u}_{1 L} \overline{\sigma}^{\mu} \sigma^{\nu} \overline{\sigma}^{\lambda} u_{2 L}\right)\left(\overline{u}_{3 L} \overline{\sigma}_{\mu} \sigma_{\nu} \overline{\sigma}_{\lambda} u_{4 L}\right) &=2 \epsilon_{\alpha \gamma} \overline{u}_{1 L \alpha} \overline{u}_{3 L \gamma} \epsilon_{\beta \delta}\left(\sigma^{\nu} \overline{\sigma}^{\lambda} u_{2 L}\right)_{\beta}\left(\sigma_{\nu} \overline{\sigma}_{\lambda} u_{4 L}\right)_{\delta} \\ &=2 \epsilon_{\alpha \gamma} \overline{u}_{1 L \alpha} \overline{u}_{3 L \gamma} \epsilon_{\beta \delta} u_{2 L \beta}\left(\sigma^{\lambda} \overline{\sigma}^{\nu} \sigma_{\nu} \overline{\sigma}_{\lambda} u_{4 L}\right)_{\delta} \end{aligned}
$$

The identity is,

$$
\epsilon_{\alpha \beta}\left(\sigma^{\mu}\right)_{\beta \gamma}=\left(\overline{\sigma}^{\mu T}\right)_{\alpha \beta} \epsilon_{\beta \gamma}
$$

Physics news on Phys.org
When asking questions of this kind, you'd get more help more quickly if you state the precise page number(s) and equation number(s), instead of expecting potential helpers to trawl through the book trying to find it.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
strangerep said:
When asking questions of this kind, you'd get more help more quickly if you state the precise page number(s) and equation number(s), instead of expecting potential helpers to trawl through the book trying to find it.
it's on page 51, Peskin & Schroeder's book.

Hey good question. This comes down to a few basic observations about sigma matrices.
First of all, we note
$$
(i\sigma ^2)_{\alpha\beta} = \epsilon_{\alpha\beta}.
$$
Next we rephrase the statement of the problem in a slightly more illuminating form:
$$
(i\sigma^2 \sigma^{\mu})_{\alpha\beta}= ((\bar{\sigma^{\mu}})^T)i\sigma^2)_{\alpha\beta}
$$
and of course two matrices are equal if and only if all their entries are equal one by one, so it is easy to see how the indices nomenclature of the statement of the problem follows (note ##\beta## is summed over).
Now, notice from the particular form of the Pauli matrices that they are all symmetric but ##\sigma^2##. This means that only ##\sigma^2## changes sign under transposition.
Moreover, consider the identity
$$
\{\sigma^i, \sigma^j\} = \delta^{ij}
$$.
Thus commuting ##\sigma^2## past all sigmas from the left (or if you wish you can reverse left and right of the identity) - and the identity matrix in the first position - in the four vector ##\sigma^{\mu}##, we obtain the desired identity, since ##\sigma^2## anti-commutes with all components except itself; but the change of sign here is taken care of by the transposition.

I hope this was clear enough.
mdb71.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, atyy and DarMM
@mdb71 the [CODE] BB code tag is for displaying program source code, not for LaTeX. LaTeX only needs to be delimited by $$ for separate equations or ## for inline (these replace the old [tex] and [itex] delimiters which no longer work).

I have used magic moderator powers to edit your post accordingly.

Likes mdb71
Thanks a lot, appreciate. Got it now, I was still getting used to it.

1. How did Peskin & Schroeder simplify this horrible product of bilinears?

Peskin & Schroeder simplified the product of bilinears by using a technique called Wick's theorem, which involves breaking down the product into a series of simpler terms.

2. What is Wick's theorem?

Wick's theorem is a mathematical technique used to simplify products of bilinears by breaking them down into a series of simpler terms.

3. Why is the product of bilinears considered "horrible"?

The product of bilinears is considered "horrible" because it involves complex mathematical expressions that are difficult to understand and manipulate.

4. How does simplifying the product of bilinears make it easier to work with?

By using Wick's theorem to simplify the product of bilinears, it becomes easier to manipulate and calculate the terms involved, making it more manageable for scientists to work with.

5. Are there any other techniques besides Wick's theorem that can simplify the product of bilinears?

Yes, there are other techniques that can be used to simplify the product of bilinears, such as Feynman diagrams and the use of symmetry properties. However, Wick's theorem is often the most commonly used method due to its simplicity and effectiveness.