How pressure inside container reacting on bolts.

This is because the pressure is exerted on the entire surface area, so using the largest hole accounts for the entire force.
flasht

Homework Statement

I am trying to learn how pressure inside a container reacts on bolts holding the container together. This image shows the probleme. I am interested in how to calculate the forces reacting on the bolts.

2e3difq.jpg

Homework Equations

force=pressure*area
area circle= (3.14*d^2) /4

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the pressure is equal everywhere inside the container, and that the cross section of the 'hole/holes' has to be used.
What I think is that I have to use the biggest 'cross section hole' :
area= (3.14*15^2)/4

Is this correct?

Thank you.

FlashT

Physics news on Phys.org
's AnswerYes, that is correct. Since the pressure is equal throughout the container, then using the area of the largest hole should give you the correct value for the force acting on the bolts.

1. How does the pressure inside a container affect the bolts holding it together?

The pressure inside a container can have a significant impact on the bolts holding it together. As the pressure increases, it creates a force that pushes against the walls of the container. This force is then transferred to the bolts, causing them to experience tension and potentially deform or even break if the pressure becomes too high.

2. Can the pressure inside a container cause the bolts to loosen?

Yes, the pressure inside a container can cause the bolts to loosen. This is because as the pressure increases, it creates a force that pushes against the bolts in the opposite direction of their tightening. Over time, this force can cause the bolts to gradually loosen, potentially leading to failure of the container.

3. How do different types of containers and bolts react to pressure?

The reaction of containers and bolts to pressure can vary depending on their materials and design. For example, a container made of a stronger material may be able to withstand higher pressures without causing the bolts to fail. Similarly, bolts made of a more durable material may be less likely to deform or break under high pressure.

4. What are the potential dangers of not considering pressure when selecting bolts for a container?

Not taking into account the pressure when selecting bolts for a container can have serious consequences. Inadequate bolts may not be able to withstand the force caused by high pressure, leading to failure of the container and potentially causing injury or damage. It is important to carefully consider the pressure requirements when choosing bolts for a container.

5. How can the pressure on bolts inside a container be controlled?

The pressure on bolts inside a container can be controlled by properly designing the container and selecting appropriate bolts. This may involve using materials that can withstand high pressure, ensuring the bolts are tightened to the correct torque, and regularly monitoring and maintaining the container to prevent pressure buildup. In some cases, pressure relief valves or other safety mechanisms may also be used to prevent excessive pressure on the bolts.