How Should the Second Crewman Pull to Align the Boat's Net Force Forward?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem in non-calculus based physics that involves two crewmen pulling a boat through a lock. The first crewman pulls with a force of 150 N at an angle of 32 degrees, while the second crewman pulls at an angle of 45 degrees. The question is what force the second crewman should pull with so that the net force of the two crewmen is in the forward direction. The conversation includes attempts to solve the problem, including a suggestion to redefine the coordinate system and redraw force vectors. It also mentions a possible solution of 179.9N and offers further assistance via email.
jcais
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a homework problem for non-calculus based physics:

Two crewmen pull a boat through a lock. One crewman pulls with a force of F1 = 150 N at an angle of 32 degrees relative to the forward direction of the boat. THe second crewman, on the opposite side of the lock, pulls at an angle of 45 degrees. With what Force F2 should the second crewman pull so that the net force of the two crewmen is in the forward direction?

F1 is F subone and F2 is F subtwo

THank you for your help!:confused:
jcais@msn.com

I worked the problem out by this but have the wrong answer:

F = -F1Sintheta1/Sintheta
= -(150N)sin32 degrees/sin(-45degrees) = 116N

the computer program is saying this is wrong.

I tried 120N to maybe b/c sig figs. Not sure

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: If the boat is traveling in the y direction then what is the x component of the force exerted by the first crewman.

Hello

I am not sure. That might be the solution to my problem, but I just can't figure it out. Can you help me? Thank you for your time and input.

:redface:

redefine your coordinate system so that the forward direction of the boat is the x-axis. Then redraw your force vectors, break them into components and try to solve again.

Draw a picture it really helps.

if the answer is 179.9N approximately 180N and u need a detailed solution email me at demooreonline@yahoo.com with the subject physics: question.
bye

Related to How Should the Second Crewman Pull to Align the Boat's Net Force Forward?

1. What is the difference between calculus-based and non-calculus based general physics?

Calculus-based general physics involves the use of mathematical concepts and formulas, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze and solve problems. Non-calculus based general physics, on the other hand, focuses on conceptual understanding and uses algebra and basic trigonometry to solve problems.

2. Is non-calculus based general physics easier than calculus-based general physics?

This is subjective and depends on individual strengths and preferences. Non-calculus based general physics may be easier for those who struggle with math, while calculus-based general physics may be easier for those who excel in math and enjoy using it to solve problems.

3. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I only take non-calculus based general physics?

Yes, there are many areas of physics that do not require advanced calculus skills. However, if you plan on pursuing a graduate degree in physics, you will likely need to take calculus-based courses.

4. Are there any limitations to using non-calculus based methods in physics?

Non-calculus based methods may not be as precise or accurate as calculus-based methods, and they may not be able to solve more complex problems. However, for basic understanding and applications, non-calculus based methods can still be effective.

5. Can I switch from non-calculus based to calculus-based general physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch to calculus-based general physics. However, it may require some catching up on math skills and concepts. It is best to consult with your academic advisor or instructor before making the switch.