How to analyse a simple fracture with ANSYS WB?

In summary, to import a simple fracture model into ANSYS WB, go to "File" > "Import" > "Geometry" and select the file containing your fracture model in a compatible format. To set up boundary conditions, define material properties, select element type, and assign loads and constraints by going to "Model" > "Materials", "Mesh", "Solution" > "Loads", and "Solution" > "Constraints". To run a fracture analysis, select "Fracture" under "Solution" > "Analysis Type" and click "Run". View results in different forms by going to "Solution" > "Insert" and customize display and format in "Solution Information" window. To improve accuracy, refine mesh, use advanced
Butters
My tutor only knows how to do it with APDL and I seek for a more up to date Workbench solution. How do I evaluate stress concentration factor for a surface plate with a fracture going straight through it (like a slit - no crack width, only length)?
Fracture.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do I import a simple fracture model into ANSYS WB?

To import a simple fracture model into ANSYS WB, go to "File" > "Import" > "Geometry" and select the file containing your fracture model. Make sure the file is in a compatible format, such as .stl or .iges.

2. How do I set up the boundary conditions for a simple fracture analysis?

To set up boundary conditions for a simple fracture analysis, you will need to define the material properties, select the appropriate element type, and assign appropriate loads and constraints to the model. You can do this by going to "Model" > "Materials" to define properties, "Mesh" to select element type, and "Solution" > "Loads" and "Solution" > "Constraints" to assign loads and constraints.

3. How do I run a fracture analysis in ANSYS WB?

To run a fracture analysis in ANSYS WB, go to "Solution" > "Analysis Type" and select "Fracture" from the list. Then click on "Run" to start the analysis. You can monitor the progress of the analysis in the "Solution Information" window.

4. How do I interpret the results of a simple fracture analysis in ANSYS WB?

The results of a simple fracture analysis in ANSYS WB can be viewed in various forms, such as contour plots, graphs, and tables. You can access these results by going to "Solution" > "Insert" and selecting the desired result type. You can also customize the display and format of the results using the options in the "Solution Information" window.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my simple fracture analysis in ANSYS WB?

To improve the accuracy of a simple fracture analysis in ANSYS WB, you can refine the mesh, use more advanced element types, and adjust the material properties to better reflect the real-world conditions. You can also perform sensitivity analyses to determine the impact of different parameters on the results and make necessary adjustments accordingly.