How to Anti-differentiate 1/sin(x) + cos(x)

• Thread starter niravana21
  • Start date
In summary: Inasmuch as you are studying calculus, it is to your benefit to learn how to express simple mathematical expressions clearly. In particular "1 over the sin and cos" is much less clear than "1 over the sum of the sine and cosine functions" or in symbols, 1/(sin(x) + cos(x)). The operation in the denominator is addition, not "and."
niravana21

Homework Statement

Please find the anti-derivative of 1/sin(x) + cos(x) dx

Homework Equations

csc(x)dx = -ln[csc(x) + cot(x)] + C

Thanks. Been at it for a while now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused, you are given the primitive of the cosecant and you do not know how to integrate the cosecant+ the cosine? Or do you need to derive the primitive for the cosecant as well?

Cyosis said:
I am confused, you are given the primitive of the cosecant and you do not know how to integrate the cosecant+ the cosine? Or do you need to derive the primitive for the cosecant as well?

Sorry it was my mistake. Its 1 over the sin and cos

niravana21 said:
Sorry it was my mistake. Its 1 over the sin and cos
Or in other words, the integrand is 1/(sin(x) + cos(x)).

Parentheses are especially important when you're writing algebraic expressions on what is essentially a single line.

By writing 1/sin(x) + cos(x), most people would correctly interpret this as
[tex]\frac{1}{sin(x)} + cos(x)[/tex]
even though that's not what you intended.

Mark44 said:
Or in other words, the integrand is 1/(sin(x) + cos(x)).

Parentheses are especially important when you're writing algebraic expressions on what is essentially a single line.

By writing 1/sin(x) + cos(x), most people would correctly interpret this as
[tex]\frac{1}{sin(x)} + cos(x)[/tex]
even though that's not what you intended.

yes i get it, but this has in no way helped me answer the question.

niravana21 said:

Did you miss my response in post 3?

niravana21 said:

But it made it harder for people on this forum to understand exactly what you were asking. The way you wrote it confused Cyosis, although Dick was able to translate what you wrote into what the problem actually was. My post was aimed at getting you to realize the importance of writing your problems so that people can easily understand them.

No, I read your post, but the questions asks to use the anti-derivative of csc(x) in order to solve the problem. :(

Any ideas?

Mark44 said:
But it made it harder for people on this forum to understand exactly what you were asking. The way you wrote it confused Cyosis, although Dick was able to translate what you wrote into what the problem actually was. My post was aimed at getting you to realize the importance of writing your problems so that people can easily understand them.

yes i realized that, so i quickly posted that it is 1 over the sin and cos. So do you have any ideas on solving that with the anti-deriv of csc(x)?

sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y)

So, putting y = pi/4 yields:

sin(x)+cos(x) = sqrt(2) sin(x+pi/4)

This means that you need to integrate 1/sin(x +pi/4) and you are already given the answer to that which you could also have derived very easily like this:

1/sin(x) = [sin^2(x/2) + cos^2(x/2)]/[2 sin(x/2)cos(x/2)] =

1/2 tan(x/2) + 1/2 cot(x/2) which is trivial to integrate.

niravana21 said:
yes i realized that, so i quickly posted that it is 1 over the sin and cos.

Inasmuch as you are studying calculus, it is to your benefit to learn how to express simple mathematical expressions clearly. In particular "1 over the sin and cos" is much less clear than "1 over the sum of the sine and cosine functions" or in symbols, 1/(sin(x) + cos(x)). The operation in the denominator is addition, not "and."

1. How do you anti-differentiate 1/sin(x) + cos(x)?

To anti-differentiate 1/sin(x) + cos(x), you can use the following steps:

1. First, rewrite the expression as 1/sin(x) + cos(x) = csc(x) + cos(x).
  2. Next, use the trigonometric identity csc(x) = 1/sin(x) to rewrite the expression as 1/sin(x) + cos(x) = 1/sin(x) + cos(x).
  3. Then, use the power rule of differentiation to find the anti-derivative of 1/sin(x) and cos(x).
  4. Finally, combine the two results to get the anti-derivative of 1/sin(x) + cos(x).

2. Can you simplify the expression 1/sin(x) + cos(x) before anti-differentiating?

Yes, you can simplify the expression 1/sin(x) + cos(x) before anti-differentiating. You can use the trigonometric identity csc(x) = 1/sin(x) to rewrite the expression as 1/sin(x) + cos(x) = csc(x) + cos(x).

3. What is the anti-derivative of 1/sin(x)?

The anti-derivative of 1/sin(x) is -ln|csc(x) + cot(x)| + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. Can you use substitution to anti-differentiate 1/sin(x) + cos(x)?

Yes, you can use substitution to anti-differentiate 1/sin(x) + cos(x). You can let u = sin(x) and du = cos(x)dx, then the expression becomes 1/u + du. You can then use the power rule of differentiation to find the anti-derivative of 1/u and du, and combine the two results to get the anti-derivative of 1/sin(x) + cos(x).

5. Are there any other methods for anti-differentiating 1/sin(x) + cos(x)?

Yes, there are other methods for anti-differentiating 1/sin(x) + cos(x). You can use integration by parts, trigonometric identities, or partial fractions to find the anti-derivative of the expression. However, using substitution or the power rule of differentiation is usually the simplest method for this expression.