1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to build a signal alternater

  1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    Suppose I have 2 input signals V1 and V2,
    And I want my output signal to alternate from V1 to V2 and so on at a particular frequency.
    Any idea what components can help me to achieve this goal??

    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Depending on the voltages of V1 and V2, you might want to look into bilateral switches. The 4016 is a MOS quad bilateral switch.
  4. Dec 7, 2007 #3


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Are V1 and V2 DC signals? If so, you just make a square wave generator circuit, with an adjustable high value and adjustable low value (or adjustable amplitude and adjustable offset)....
  5. Dec 7, 2007 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Analog switches and relays would be the obvious choices.

    - Warren
  6. Dec 9, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions
  7. Dec 11, 2007 #6
    Sounds like a multiplexer

    A 2:1 multiplexer will have 2 inputs, a select line, and a single output. The output will be the selected input: that is, if there is a logic "0" (ground) on the select line, the output will be input 0, and if there is a logic "1" on the select line the output will be input 1. There are different types of multiplexers--don't use a digital MUX if your inputs are not logic values (I presume they are not, or you would not have asked the question).

    This way, whatever your inputs are--DC, AC, audio, etc--you can alternate between them at a desired frequency simply by applying the desired frequency to the select line.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?