How to calculate angular acceleration of crankshaft?

In summary, the student is trying to measure the torque in the crankshaft from the pressure on the piston.
Angus Keiller
Hello. I am currently undergoing a university project and require the angular acceleration of a crankshaft? I only know the angular velocity from the RPM and I have strongly considered that it is not possible. Just looking for some reassurance? Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are referring to the (short term) mean change of angular velocity as the engine revs increase as the car accelerates then that would relate directly to the angular velocity information and the car's performance figures. A smart phone acccelerometer would give you acceleration to a reaonable accuracy. You could get an idea about the instantaneous acceleration (within the cycle) if you knew the pressure in all the cylinders (over time) and the masses of all the pistons plus the moment of intertia of the flywheel. I imagine that would be a 'small' value, by design, as it would represent a source of vibration and the flywheel's job is partly to suppress it.

The engine has been overhauled and is currently in pieces haha. The primary reason for this is to establish the torque of the crankshaft and from that I can derive the pressure in the cylinder. The pressure will change rapidly as the piston moves up and down obviously. Or could I derive the pressure from the molecular weight etc and work down instead of up?

This sounds very hard and very basic. The pressure in the cylinder will depend upon the fuel air mixture and how well the engine breathes etc etc. I wouldn't know where to start without approaching an enthusiast group - who would probably be delighted to get involved with a project like yours.
But this is a University project so why not ask your supervisor? To be honest, I am not sure, from what you write, whether this is a theory based exercise or a measurement question. Will you have a test bench to run the engine on?

What I have now done is estimated the pressure in the cylinder at different crank angles assuming atmospheric pressure when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke (180 degrees) for that very brief period of time while the inlet valve opens. I have then calculated a fuel-air gas mixture of mass 1.83kg (ratio 15:1) and established a density at the different volumes inside the cylinder. I am now trying to establish the torque in the crankshaft from the pressure on the piston! (Fingers crossed)
It is a mixture of theory and practical from which I am now working on the theory. The engine will not be tested before the project is due which is a bit annoying but since its a rover v8... something to look forward to ;)

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is expressed in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How do I calculate angular acceleration?

To calculate angular acceleration, you will need to know the change in angular velocity (Δω) and the time interval (Δt) over which the change occurs. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = Δω/Δt.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration measures the rate of change in angular velocity, while linear acceleration measures the rate of change in linear velocity. In simpler terms, angular acceleration is how quickly something is rotating, while linear acceleration is how quickly something is moving in a straight line.

4. How does a crankshaft relate to angular acceleration?

A crankshaft is a mechanical component that converts the reciprocating motion of a piston into rotational motion. The angular acceleration of a crankshaft is important in determining the power output of an engine.

5. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a crankshaft?

The angular acceleration of a crankshaft can be affected by the mass of the crankshaft, the force applied to it, and any external forces acting on it. The design of the engine and the quality of its components can also impact the angular acceleration of a crankshaft.