How to calculate increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration for a solid cylinder with given mass and initial and final velocities. The equation used is 0.5I(omegafinal^2-omegainitial^2) and the calculated value is 56851 Joules.
ingram010
Hi all

Hope some one can help with this

Calculate the increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration?

0.6m diameter Solid cylinder with a mass of 120kg, initial velocity of 20.94 rad/s and final velocity of 146.61 rad/s.

I have found an equation for the kinetic energy lost at impact:-

1/2 moment of inertia x initial velocity^2 + 1/2 moment of inertia x final velocity^2

My question is, am I right in thinking it is the same equation but I subtract one from the other in stead of adding them?

so

I = 1/2 mass x radius ^2

1/2 (5.4)(146.61)^2 - 1/2 (5.4)(20.94)^2 = 56851 Joules

Kindest regards

John

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the cylinder is undergoing pure rotation, K = 0.5I(omega^2)
The change in kinetic energy is then 0.5I(omegafinal^2-omegainitial^2)
For a cylinder, I = 0.5M(R^2)
So (deltaK) = 0.25M(R^2)(omegafinal^2-omegainitial^2)
= 0.25(120)(0.3^2)(146.61^2-20.94^2) = 56851.22295J
So your answer is correct.

Related to How to calculate increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration?

1. How do I calculate the increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration?

The increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration can be calculated using the formula: E = 1/2 * m * v^2 * (vf^2 - vi^2), where E is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, respectively.

2. What is the relationship between acceleration and kinetic energy?

Acceleration and kinetic energy have a direct relationship, meaning that an increase in acceleration will result in an increase in kinetic energy. This is because acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing, and kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's velocity.

3. Can I calculate the increase in kinetic energy without knowing the mass of the object?

No, the mass of the object is a crucial factor in calculating the increase in kinetic energy. Without the mass, the formula for calculating kinetic energy cannot be accurately applied.

4. How does the increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration affect an object's motion?

An increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration will cause an object to speed up, as kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's velocity. This increase in speed will affect the object's motion, causing it to cover more distance in a shorter amount of time.

5. Can the increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration be negative?

Yes, the increase in kinetic energy due to acceleration can be negative if the final velocity is smaller than the initial velocity. This would result in a decrease in kinetic energy, also known as deceleration.